unknown-user

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 1,531 through 1,545 (of 5,570 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Is it my ISP or…? #110875
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Happening here too. I blamed it on AOL and my antiquated system. Guess not.

    in reply to: Musical Development #86718
    unknown-user
    Participant

    One clear influence seems to definitely be musical literacy. The more music the student has experienced, the more sophisticated they should be and the broader their range of interest and ability to play different kinds of music. I have started to issue listening lists to my students, and next will require a minimum number of concerts to attend, or specific ones, hopefully they’ll attend.

    in reply to: New and tryng to decide on Harp #155224
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Alan, Just a suggestion. Go to the Heartland exhibit early. It was packed the whole time we were there last year. You’ll know why when you see it!

    in reply to: Dvds/Videos #161689
    unknown-user
    Participant
    Hi there,
    in reply to: New and tryng to decide on Harp #155205
    unknown-user
    Participant
    Thank you for all the advice that I will definitely take into consideration!
    in reply to: Who was the harpist in Ricky Ricardo’s orchestra? #104731
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I wanted to bring this thread back up – to see if anyone had any news/info? (Its now several years later since the first thread was entered on this subject)…

    I also just caught a re-run of I Love Lucy – and was wondering the same thing – who the harpist is/was – is she still with alive? what happened to her harp (looks like a Lyon & Healy Style 23 gold to me??).. I tried to find more info on the internet – but no luck…

    Thanks to anyone who has some more info – just for trivia/the historical sake!

    Kind regards…

    William

    in reply to: Small hands and feet: please help #162366
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Thank you to everyone for their advice. It’s been really useful.

    Thank you to Tayce for the sitting suggestions. I do sit on the edge of the seat and have the harp tilted at its balance point, but I don’t have a seat that tilts forward, so perhaps this would be useful – thanks for suggesting this.

    Andy and Hannah, thanks for your suggestions – I will definitely look into maybe getting a different, smaller harp. The harp I have at the moment is a 46 string Erard; it seems small compared to my teacher’s harp, which is huge, but perhaps a harp that’s slightly smaller or with smaller string spacing would help. I don’t really know how Erards stand with regard to string spacing. Hannah, it’s good to know that someone with the same proportions has overcome these problems – thank you for replying!

    Thanks also for the shoe suggestions; I’ll definitely try this. I will look at the post on small fourth fingers too!

    Best wishes,

    Frances

    in reply to: New and tryng to decide on Harp #155196
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I was a newbie a year ago, and I love to play the harp. I am going to give you advice that you will not want, but it is the very best advice that anyone can give you. If at all possible, rent first, don’t buy.

    I was in your shoes a year ago, almost to the dot. I’m short, back and neck problems, small hands. The makers you’ve mentioned are great, and there are other great makers about whom you will learn as you get into your lessons. If you can get to a regional harp fair, go and see and play other harps as well as the ones you’ve spoken about.

    You will be amazed and pleased with how your tastes refine as you study, and with experience you will have the opportunity to make an informed decision about what works for you best. There are many harp dealers who do rentals, and several give you the advantage of renting-to-own or being able to trade a rental for its value when you purchase.

    A lap harp is much tougher on a beginner than a floor harp, because you will be able to find a comfortable position without struggling against gravity.

    in reply to: Musical Development #86717
    unknown-user
    Participant

    The point of mentioning the past performers is that they were really great ones, not how many or how the technology duplicated them. How many today can be called that? The only conductors I’ve heard in the last decade that moved me were Fruhbeck de Burgos and Claudio Abbado. There are some terrific opera singers like Deborah Voigt, but for recitals? Not sure. I don’t think that highly of Dawn Upshaw, she’s not as fine as Von Stade. I don’t doubt great artists exist in greater numbers than we ever hear about. Many spend most of their time teaching.

    in reply to: Erard Harp with Original Wooden Shipping Case #71406
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Not sure if anyone is interested – but I saw a Erard harp on ebay.. Its in pretty bad shape – but the column seems to be intact – and many of the original parts (even though damaged) are still there…. Maybe someone could buy this once beautiful instrument and restore it?? If I had the money/repair knowledge – I know I would! Regards!

    in reply to: Do you support you local public radio? #110985
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I think WCPE (89.7), in North Carolina is a great station. If you have a good internet connection you can stream it.

    in reply to: Do you support you local public radio? #110984
    unknown-user
    Participant

    If you have a good

    in reply to: New harp buzzing #75724
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Also, I live in Southern Florida, USA.

    in reply to: Musical Development #86712
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I agree, it’s an absolute necessity, but I don’t see them going, do you? But then, most artists today don’t seem to be of the caliber of the past artists like Casals, Rostropovich, De Los Angeles, Fischer-Dieskau, Rubinstein, those of such great heart and humanity. Perhaps historic recordings are more important?

    in reply to: Ever have a nightmare involving your harp? #162422
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Or it’s a premonition. Better start learning it. And the Magic Fire Music, to boot, just in case.

Viewing 15 posts - 1,531 through 1,545 (of 5,570 total)