harpcolumn

New and tryng to decide on Harp

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists New and tryng to decide on Harp

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    unknown-user
    Participant
    Hi there,
    unknown-user
    Participant

I was a newbie a year ago, and I love to play the harp. I am going to give you advice that you will not want, but it is the very best advice that anyone can give you. If at all possible, rent first, don’t buy.

I was in your shoes a year ago, almost to the dot. I’m short, back and neck problems, small hands. The makers you’ve mentioned are great, and there are other great makers about whom you will learn as you get into your lessons. If you can get to a regional harp fair, go and see and play other harps as well as the ones you’ve spoken about.

You will be amazed and pleased with how your tastes refine as you study, and with experience you will have the opportunity to make an informed decision about what works for you best. There are many harp dealers who do rentals, and several give you the advantage of renting-to-own or being able to trade a rental for its value when you purchase.

A lap harp is much tougher on a beginner than a floor harp, because you will be able to find a comfortable position without struggling against gravity.

tony-morosco
    Participant

I would definitely advise against a lap harp. A floor harp of 32 to 36 strings is the minimum I would recommend, and definitely get full levers if you can. Although you might not need them right away if you are looking for a harp that will be able to use for a long time as you progress then the two things that will most impede your progress will be too few strings and missing levers.

I am not familiar with Hearland harps so I can’t comment on them. However I have tried several Blevins and have been uniformly impressed with their harps. They seem to be very high quality instruments for a reasonable price.

I would also recommend looking at the Lyon and Healy Ogden. 34 string floor harp with full levers, concert tension and spacing, and a nice sound. One of the best buys for the dollar in the harp world in my opinion.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

ann reid gave you very good advice–try it for a while before you buy.

brook-boddie
    Participant

Carrie,

All good advice here.

Tacye
    Participant

One significant factor is what sort of music you like, and what musical background you have.

harp guy
    Participant

I too highly recommend Blevins.

rod-c
    Participant

Carian:

I’ve been playing and taking lessons for 18 mos. I agree with the others here. I especially agree with the fact that the harp you want to play today may not be the harp you want to be playing a year from now…which is why renting is good to start.

Renting is a great idea. Going to harp exhibits is also a good idea. The suggestions here have been good. But………..don’t forget some of the smaller harp builders. I was just at the AHS conference, and both Timothy Habinski and William Webster make exceedingly beautiful instruments — both in sound, touch and looks.

Briggsie

Liam M
    Participant

Carrie!

Welcome to the heavenly world of Harping!

unknown-user
    Participant
    Thank you for all the advice that I will definitely take into consideration!
    Fairy Reel
    Participant

Floor harp with full levers sounds great!! Take into cafeful consideration the weight, however, as you want to start therapy harping. I have found in my harping expeditions that the added aggravation of dealing with a bigger harp is more than compensated with the happy faces of the people when you can play all of the songs that they love so well.

Don’t discount second-hand–that’s a good way to go, too!

Have fun!–Fairy

elena-bittasi
    Participant

Hi, Carrie!
    I am an Italian newbie: I’m playing the harp from four months as a self-taught person… and I’m a short girl too!
    I purchased a Dusty Strings Ravenna 26, and I highly recommend this harp: it is light and portable and it has a very nice sound.
    But if you haven’t money restrictions (like me…), I think the best harp for a tiny person is the new Salvi Prima (34 or 38 strings)… it is wonderful: you have to try it!

One thing that is very important in choosing a smaller harp is to TRY THEM. They are all vastly different. I was looking for something with very close to pedal tension and with great integrity in the build. I refuse to consider anything with little brass rings where the string comes out of the soundboard. The brass rings

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Just to point out, Briggs, that many L&H models have used brass eyelets over the years, so I don’t think this is a a valid argument about tension, etc.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies