Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
unknown-user
Participanti own both a Blevins Espre 36 and a Dusty Ravenna 26.
unknown-user
ParticipantI’ve been thinking about this very interesting topic for 24 hours (off and on!), and I believe that there are many considerations to be made here.
I speak often of Kodaly, who was a sort of idol in my mind in terms of pedagogy. Roughly paraphrased, he believed that all “musics” should be taught, but that only the best of all “musics” should be used in teaching.
I hope it’s comfortable to all of us to put the idea on the table that we all have favorite kinds of music, and prefer it to other kinds, and dislike other kinds, and perhaps strongly dislike them.
I’m not sure though, if we can allow our sense of what is beautiful and well done
July 18, 2008 at 10:06 pm in reply to: newbie seeking advice–strength training before starting harp lessons??? #162845unknown-user
ParticipantYou might want to take a look at the Feldenkrais Method and the Alexander Technique, both of which can be useful for musicians.
July 18, 2008 at 8:07 pm in reply to: newbie seeking advice–strength training before starting harp lessons??? #162843unknown-user
ParticipantDear Ginger,
I just measured my hands and fingers and found that they are even smaller than yours!
unknown-user
ParticipantHi Paul! Not as of yet… I’m going to try again this weekend.. I did hear from another member of harp column who gave me a name of a lady in Louisiana that might have known Maryce… I have written to her for further details… I will keep you informed! Thanks for asking! Kind regards – William
unknown-user
ParticipantAnother listing has appeared on ebay- but for a “erat” harp from the early 1800s.. The harp looks like it needs some TLC – but if anyone is interested in getting this antique and restoring it – thought I’d post the link for you! Kind regards William
July 16, 2008 at 2:03 pm in reply to: What was your favourite (beginner/low intermediate level) music book? #159112unknown-user
ParticipantI think Le Classiques (leDentu) are small pieces that sound very nice. I love Fun from the First bk.2. Also the Sylvia Wood a and b books. I LOVE the Friou Baroque Music book, but it’s still too hard for me to play much- definitely on my for-the-future list.
unknown-user
ParticipantThanks to you two!
I, unfortunately, won’t be able to bring the harp with my in the bus, since I need a dolly to carry it, you can imagine the “small” size.
I’ll stick to the driver when he loads it and I’ll keep me safe for as much as I can. It’s a straight line from New York to Montreal. The first one is… you know, NYC, but the last one is safe as far as I know.I’ll try to bring extra padding and I’m travelling in the un-busiest bus of the week.
The rest is up to my good fate.Thanks
gen
July 16, 2008 at 6:31 am in reply to: What was your favourite (beginner/low intermediate level) music book? #159111unknown-user
ParticipantI started with Laurie Riley’s “Basic Harp For Beginners” and “Celtic Music For Folk Harp”.
unknown-user
ParticipantAfter all this discussion, I’d like to put in my actual experience.
unknown-user
ParticipantYou are very welcome!

unknown-user
ParticipantThanks for the link, BG!
unknown-user
ParticipantNina, I’m not quite sure that I understand the tone of your post. I’m hoping that you have paraphrased exactly the point I was making. My concern is about the beer cap and the softball. In my decades of teaching experience, I’ve found that as you observe, those who aspire to the highest goals are most likely to be successful.
I have found further that the more explicit the goal, the more likely the good result. Thus the reference to the softball or beer cap. If the students response is shaped by previous experience, and if the instruction provided is not explicit in the unique aspects of the new experience, the student is likely to repeat previous habituated responses. That is, after all, the result of what learning comes from. I totally agree with you that the responsibility of the teacher is to provide the sort of instruction that will allow student and teacher to reach the highest mutually shared goal.
unknown-user
ParticipantFound this link for a picture.
unknown-user
ParticipantHave you heard anything?
-
AuthorPosts