harpcolumn

newbie seeking advice–strength training before starting harp lessons???

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists newbie seeking advice–strength training before starting harp lessons???

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    ginger-rossi
    Participant

Hello All,

I’m new to the forum and happy to have found you.

I have been in love with harp music since I was nine. Now, in my mid-thirties, I have decided that my reward for finishing my doctoral dissertation will be to rent a lever harp and start lessons.

While I work on the dissertation and try to save up money for the rental and lessons, I am teaching myself to read music.

unknown-user
    Participant

Dear Ginger,

I just measured my hands and fingers and found that they are even smaller than yours!

andy-b
    Participant

Hi, Ginger: Make sure you explain your concerns to your teacher; he/she will instruct you in ways to play that will not

unknown-user
    Participant

You might want to take a look at the Feldenkrais Method and the Alexander Technique, both of which can be useful for musicians.

rod-c
    Participant

Ginger:

I have been playing harp and taking lessons for a year and a half now. Just by practicing daily, I have gained a great deal of strength in my fingers. You’ll probably find that happening to you, too.

However, there is a little device you can buy for strengthening fingers. It is called a Gripmaster, and you can buy it online for $15.00 at this link below. I have one; I didn’t use it a lot, but I think it does work for strengthening fingers.

http://www.herringtoncatalog.com/ws137.html

Best,

Rod C.

Mel Sandberg
    Participant

Hi Ginger
    I had a good laugh at your descriptions, because they could EXACLTY have been mine – sizing, RSI from computer, mouse work, wrist, etc… Then I had another good laugh at Denise’s replies.

ginger-rossi
    Participant

Thank you, everyone, for your suggestions!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies