Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
Sylvia
ParticipantWhy don’t you write LH and ask them?
Sylvia
ParticipantNo, it picked up the guitar, but not the harp. I put the mike next to the harp on the floor, where I always put my mike. (and I use either a corded one or a remote…depending on the venue setup. ) Anyway, the amps I have put out a lot more sound than the Fishman. There’s not much leeway on where to plug in, so I’m sure it was OK. I don’t think it was 25 lbs…less than that, so maybe you’re thinking of a different model.
Sylvia
ParticipantI had to LOL about the paintings. Such a perfect reply!
Sylvia
ParticipantAs I told my teacher once…the pedals are the stuff and guts of harp playing.
You absolutely have to know what your feet are doing…if the hands get off, well…but if the feet are off, it’s certain death unless you can think with your feet.Also, it IS important to fake it because the audience will get uncomfortable if you show you’re upset. In my early days, I played mobile home parks, (I had terrible stage fright, so I played in those and in nursing homes to weather) and if I apologized for my mishaps, I’d get puzzled looks, or disturbed looks of some kind. It was unnerving. That’s where I developed a celebrity smile…I hit them with that when I’m done…I never act like anything went wrong. If you smile, they smile.
Recording tells it like it is…no sugarcoating, like when a person tells you…not just recording practice, but tape recording performance can be an eye-opener. I used to do that (still do, sometimes), and sometimes what I thought were bad places lasting forever would actually be only a few seconds, so it can be comforting as well as the opposite.
Sylvia
ParticipantDo you mean pinkies, as in the little fingers?
pinkie n – definition in American English Dictionary – Cambridge …
dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/american-english/pinkie
pinkie n – definition, audio pronuncation and more for pinkie n: the smallest finger of a person’s hand See more in American English Dictionary – Cambridge …Sylvia
ParticipantIf a classical guitarist plays, does he play classical music? Whatever type of music the guitarist plays might be what works.
Sylvia
ParticipantYou might try the hardware store and look at cord. A piece of cord might work.
I just remembered teaching someone how to tie strings (long time ago)…I used a piece of cord about as big around as a 5th octave string.. It was easy to handle and they didn’t have to mess up any strings practicing the ties.Sylvia
ParticipantI keep pieces of old 5th octave strings and cut off anchors when I need them. If you don’t have an old one, you could cut off the end of a new one (they are always really long.) I think it’s easier to start with another anchor than taking out the anchor in a small string. Bending the thick anchor helps keep it from sliding out of the loop.
I can’t believe your cat lost all three! She probably knows where they are if you just watch where she goes. One of my cats likes to slide little toys under the stove. I have to use a yardstick to get them out (or take out the drawer.)
Sylvia
ParticipantAlison, please put the link to the Harpist’s Graveyard!
Sylvia
ParticipantI think you told me that before. I think you are in the UK…finding a cobbler’s scrap basket might be a challenge here. But how did you get them to stay on….sew thru the leather?
Sylvia
ParticipantBut why would aging felts squeak? They might start to wear thru, but squeak? Plus, the girl wouldn’t have too thick a wrap or they would have squeaked before now…if that is the cause. Felt detective work is tricky. Mine are on the harp I play for outdoor stuff, so it isn’t too dire.
Sylvia
ParticipantWhere can you get leather ones?
If the girl’s felts are two years old, and they just now started squeaking, I wouldn’t think they were too thick, as Tony suggested…the time sequence isn’t right. They’ve been OK till now, it seems.
I have squeakers on one of my harps, and I’ll try wrapping so they aren’t as thick next time. I do put Vaseline on them, and that helps for a while.
Sylvia
ParticipantI’m wearing out this topic, but usually for a dinner, I play a mixture of music, and I suppose other harpists also do that. I play classical, popular, and Mexican. …but sometimes, an event will be all one kind of music…and that’s what I have coming up right now. I have a Victorian-style tea, for which I plan to use classical, and a Mother’s Day event, for which I plan to use all Mexican. (I know that may sound strange, but where I am, and in the place I will be playing, it is expected, appropriate… and it was requested.) Since my rep is memorized, that tightens things up a bit for me. I’m planning on the tea party not noticing too much except each others’ hats and dresses, and I know that Mexican can be repeated because it just doesn’t wear out…it’s all so pretty (my favorite rep)…they never tire of those songs, and neither do I.
As for Adam’s comment about people looking at me…I really don’t know if they do. I don’t look at them. I try to just go into my zone and stay there. The only time I really look is at a wedding when it’s time for the bridal procession to start or the bride to enter, and I’m trying to see if anything is happening back there.
Sylvia
ParticipantI play from memory, and I agree with airing the new stuff. If I’m weathering a piece I haven’t known for very long, I do like to repeat it for the exercise. As for favorites, my current favorite is pretty short …Angel of Music from the Phantom…it is just so light and happy that I like to hear it.
Sylvia
ParticipantHere is the thread on new-used.
http://musicstand.harpcolumn.com/forums/harps-and-accessories/posts/62634 -
AuthorPosts