Sylvia

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 511 through 525 (of 824 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: tuning… #77145
    Sylvia
    Participant

    I was told by my teacher never to tune to a piano or the harp would be out of tune with itself.

    in reply to: Dussek – Sonata in C Minor #61799
    Sylvia
    Participant

    How is level of difficulty determined, please?
    Maybe other forum members can give specifics.

    in reply to: Advice about shoulder surgery #112597
    Sylvia
    Participant

    Bursitis
    Definition
    Bursitis is the painful inflammation of the bursa, a padlike sac found in areas subject to friction. Bursae cushion the movement between the bones, tendons and muscles near the joints. Bursitis is most often caused by repetitive movement and is known by several common names including weaver’s bottom, clergyman’s knee, and miner’s elbow, depending on the affected individual’s occupation and area of injury.

    in reply to: Repertoire for Wedding Gig? #61796
    Sylvia
    Participant

    Do you mean the ceremony or the reception?

    in reply to: Bisbigliando #60357
    Sylvia
    Participant

    The Ceremony of Carols has a section in #5, As dew in Aprille, which begins at the 11th full measure. You might watch some performances of that.
    Here are some definitions, although in the CofC, it is marked forte.

    w.google.com/search?q=bisbigliando+definition&rlz=1C1CHNQ_enUS496US496&oq=bisbigliando+definition&aqs=chrome.0.69i57.21234j0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

    bisbigliando
    Web definitions
    whispering; i.e., a special tremolo effect on the harp where a chord or note is rapidly repeated at a low volume.

    in reply to: Devastated #112792
    Sylvia
    Participant

    Sounds like he taught you well, and maybe you don’t really need a piano teacher anymore.
    I can relate to your problem because many years ago, my harp teacher did the same thing. The new teacher at the university was awful, and I just hated her, so I quit playing. It took me four years to save up to buy a harp, but I did it and re-learned by myself (I couldn’t play at all after four years of not playing). I never had another teacher.
    So whatever you decide to do, the world does not end…it’s just a new beginning.

    Sylvia
    Participant

    It almost sounds as tho you are tuning to a pitch that’s too high. What would happen if you lower everything a half step, I wonder. Since it’s a folk harp, you might not need exact pitch.

    in reply to: Moussgorsky: Pictures at an Exhibition: Orch Ravel #61721
    Sylvia
    Participant

    Check your email. Good luck.

    in reply to: Strings for a tuned-down antique #76943
    Sylvia
    Participant

    I like walnut because it fits with the color of the wood in orchestra (strings).

    in reply to: Tennis Elbow #60310
    Sylvia
    Participant

    What harp method are you using?

    in reply to: Our proudest moments, share them all x #112618
    Sylvia
    Participant

    I’m glad Emily is proud of her daughter. I was an adult when I started playing, but my parents were certainly NOT proud….they thought it was a waste of time. It must be wonderful when parents are supportive!

    in reply to: Pagliacci #60308
    Sylvia
    Participant

    I played it only in R hand. We just did the opera last weekend.

    I practiced the BS (Bird Song) forever with short long short…long short long….fast slow fast, etc.
    I practiced with the Philadelphia Orch and Pavarati CD (around 60), but ours may have been faster. I KNOW the other section of it was faster…the one that comes in after that middle stuff.

    The only way I could keep up (and not super cleanly) was by greasing. Carmex works really great on fingers …yeah, I know it says for cold sores…but look at the price, $1, and look at the ingredients…great stuff. It starts out pretty greasy, but the greasiness kind of goes away fast. So I greased up before that section and slid on thru.

    in reply to: stationary nut washers #76842
    Sylvia
    Participant

    What is the purpose of removing them?

    in reply to: Thoughts on Fluorocarbon Strings? #76814
    Sylvia
    Participant

    Do they stay in tune?

    in reply to: Two-harp duets #61648
    Sylvia
    Participant

    Yes, those are the ones I have.
    I’d like to find more that are similar in difficulty.

Viewing 15 posts - 511 through 525 (of 824 total)