harpcolumn

Sore pinkies?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums How To Play Sore pinkies?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    ellen-beckerman
    Participant

Hi there, I have been practicing a lot lately, 3-4+ hours per day, and my pinkies have gotten sore. Has this happened to anyone else? Any solutions? I warm up, take breaks, etc. Not quite sure how I am straining them, am watching my technique in the mirror. Would love ideas!

Sylvia
    Participant

Do you mean pinkies, as in the little fingers?
    pinkie n – definition in American English Dictionary – Cambridge …
    dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/american-english/pinkie
    pinkie n – definition, audio pronuncation and more for pinkie n: the smallest finger of a person’s hand See more in American English Dictionary – Cambridge …

ellen-beckerman
    Participant

yes, little fingers.

tony-morosco
    Participant

You are probably tensing them. Like when you see a movie with a proper English woman drinking tea, and she keeps her pinky sticking out. After a few hours of tensing your pinkie I can imagine they would get sore.

Relax the pinkie. Let it just hang. So long as it isn’t getting in the way there is no reason to keep it tense, and for most people it is short enough compared to the other fingers that it won’t get in the way.

ellen-beckerman
    Participant

Thank you, Tony, I was thinking about that today as I was practicing, and it seemed to help a little. Oddly, they don’t hurt when I play, but do afterwards. But I will keep an eye on it.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Yes, make sure it is following the other fingers when you close and open them. Tension in your pinkies is very hard for most people to overcome, but it’s really important to make the effort.

ellen-beckerman
    Participant

Thank you Barbara, I’ll take a look. By the way, I love your arrangement for Erik Satie’s Gymnopedie for lever harp. thank you so much for it!

ellen-beckerman
    Participant

Thank you Barbara, I’ll take a look. By the way, I love your arrangement for Erik Satie’s Gymnopedie for lever harp. thank you so much for it!

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Why, thanks, Ellen, I’m glad you like it. The tension-in-pinkies thing is a problem for most of us when we first start. It takes a lot of conscious effort, but you can do it.

Tacye
    Participant

Or take a rubber band (loose enough it doesn’t cut the blood supply off) and fasten your pinky to the 4th to remind you. I see on another thread I am not the only person to suggest this!

kay-lister

Tracye – LOL . . . WORKS doesn’t it?!

😉 Kay

ellen-beckerman
    Participant

Thank you so much for this advice! I tried it this morning and it helped tremendously. I’ll get those pinkies in line yet! :o)

Angela Biggs

Kay and Tayce — I read your tip about the rubber band this morning and had my first lesson with my first paying student tonight. She remarked upon the tension in her RH pinky and I slid on a rubber band. It worked. I doff my hat to thee. 🙂

(And this is *exactly* why I spend so much time on this forum. I never know what I’m going to learn, or when it’s going to come in handy!)

kay-lister

😉

Kay

Tacye
    Participant

Indeed 😉 Automated nagging!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies