Sylvia

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 496 through 510 (of 824 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: How do you advertise to get weddings, etc.? #62649
    Sylvia
    Participant

    Most of my calls come from my own referrals…people or places I’ve played before, and the booklets don’t seem to do much. I like to make enough to buy the groceries and cat food.

    in reply to: Composer looking for a collaborator #61852
    Sylvia
    Participant

    I wonder if Roger is writing for solo, orchestra, small ensemble, or what?
    Another thing no one has mentioned is it has to be enough to lug a harp in for.

    A good place to look for examples would be to first look at listings of harp parts. (I couldn’t find a link on Lyon&Healy or Holywell, but maybe someone has links for the music catalogs.) See what composers (forget Wagner) wrote harp parts, and then go to IMSLP and look at the parts.

    I don’t like writing that is linear, chromatic, fast repeated notes (no sonority), right hand so low you have to be a gorilla to play it, and tricky rhythms. Lots of harmonic changes often have to be dealt with by using enharmonics….because you can’t change two pedals on the same side at once (yes, I know the E, but it’s awkward). Vibrating strings is what we’re dealing with, and they have to have time to vibrate to get the sonority. You can’t bang on them like a piano, or just blow or bow the note and leave it behind.

    I agree that we should encourage composers, but I also agree that there is much written that is unplayable or doesn’t sound beautiful, so no one wants to hear it again.

    in reply to: Strauss Duet Concertino Harp Part #61832
    Sylvia
    Participant

    Phil has not replied to me, and his email address isn’t on the forum. My Strauss is already scanned and sendable. All he has to do is contact me.

    in reply to: Free sheet music #61837
    Sylvia
    Participant

    It is nice that you want to use the harp in your piece, and I commend you for that.
    The audio doesn’t play for me. (does it play for anyone else?)
    The writing does not look harpy to me. No arpeggios or chords?
    Linear writing and intricate rhythms are not what I would want to see.

    in reply to: Strauss Duet Concertino Harp Part #61830
    Sylvia
    Participant

    Send me your email, please.
    My email is harpsylvia@aol.com

    in reply to: Lifelong pianist curious about pedal harp #60305
    Sylvia
    Participant

    Just 2 cents worth about the purse. I always use a purse with a long strap so it goes completely over my head (the strap is diagonal across me) and leaves both my hands free. It can’t fall off, and purse snatchers can’t grab it and run (as they can if the strap is just resting on one shoulder.

    in reply to: Worst Wedding Ever! #112846
    Sylvia
    Participant

    I wondered why you’d wear a suit outside in the heat. Don’t men have alternate clothing for outdoor weddings?
    Those people were trash, and the wedding planner (if that was the creature snipping at you when you arrived) was very unprofessional. You’re lucky you got paid.

    Sylvia
    Participant

    Yes, I’m aware. That info is on the web whenever you look him up.

    Sylvia
    Participant

    This was on ISMLP, where you’ve probably already looked…
    I don’t see a harp part, so maybe it’s figured bass.

    General Information

    Work Title Vespro della Beata Vergine
    Alternative Title Vespers
    Composer Monteverdi, Claudio
    Opus/Catalogue Number SV 206
    Movements/Sections 14
    First Publication 1610
    Language Latin
    Dedication Pope Paul V (Camillo Borghese, 1552–1621)
    Piece Style Baroque
    Instrumentation Voices: 2 sopranos, 2 tenors, 2 basses + 2 mixed choruses (SATTB)
    Orchestra: 2 flutes, 2 tenor recorders, 3 cornets, trumpet (B♭), 3 tenor trombones, bass trombone + 2 violini da brazzo (violins), 3 viuole da brazzo (violas), bass viuola da brazzo (cello), contrabasso da gamba (double bass)

    Sylvia
    Participant

    I’ve never heard of the Vespers, so I’m no help at all. BTW, Kalmus is a great place to get harp parts!

    Sylvia
    Participant

    I believe there is a harp part for the opera Orfeo.
    I think Clinton works for Kalmus.
    http://www.efkalmus.com/poe.php

    in reply to: What posesses some people?? #112824
    Sylvia
    Participant

    I use a thick oval piece of leather that was part of a key chain when I have a long stretch of glisses…found it in the junk drawer.
    As for talking to harpists in situations as you describe, I learned long ago to just NOT. Seemed like even a compliment would be taken the wrong way.
    In your case, probably the problem was that you played the job and she didn’t.

    in reply to: tuning… #77151
    Sylvia
    Participant

    ….because the octaves are stretched on the piano. (to continue his explanation). If we stretch our octaves…. They would be in tune with the piano, but the harp will be out of tune with itself. These guys were back in the days of the tuning fork (probably no one here knows what that is). By the time I came along, my teacher had a strobe tuner.

    in reply to: What posesses some people?? #112815
    Sylvia
    Participant

    I think you shouldn’t worry about it. She’s obviously nuts…this is her thing.
    I’d just smile and say….Thank you. I’m glad you enjoyed the concert….and proceed with packing up or whatever.

    in reply to: tuning… #77149
    Sylvia
    Participant

    I’ve been tuning with a strobe for decades now, whatever temperament that is. My teacher meant do not go to a piano and tune note for note, if that’s any clearer. He has, bless his heart, long since passed away. BTW, he was a student of Salzedo, so I assume that Salzedo passed the info on to him.

Viewing 15 posts - 496 through 510 (of 824 total)