harpcolumn

Monteverdi – Vespers for the Blessed Virgin 1610 – Jurgens edition

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home › Forums › Repertoire › Monteverdi – Vespers for the Blessed Virgin 1610 – Jurgens edition

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #61810
    rosalind-beck
    Participant

    Can anyone provide information regarding this work? Our music director described the part as “un-harp-like,” which is a bit concerning. There are numerous videos of performances at YouTube, but none that I found that use harp. There are, however, quite a few that use a fretted, lute-type instrument with a very long neck. I’m guessing that the harp is supposed to be a substitute for it? Thanks for any insights or advice.

    #61811

    Rosalind,

    Years ago I played harp in the University of Florida Renaissance Ensemble. I played a Dolmetsch harp. Until the group disbanded a few years ago, they had the largest collection of renaissance instruments in the southeast US. I did play in a production of the Monteverdi “Coronation of Poppea” with full orchestra using ancient instruments. I ended up making up my part based on the full score. Just play where it seems appropriate and have fun with the piece.

    I don’t know what instruments the orchestra is using but I would consider playing a lever harp for this. Keep in mind that harps were simple but could play sharps and flats like lever harps today. Your part should reflect the limitation of the instruments of that time. I generally filled in with chords or played continuo.

    BTW, the big string instruments on the youtube clip are lutes – biggest ones I’ve ever seen.

    #61812

    Rosalind,

    I did a little research on Monteverdi and his use of harp. He did have one piece in which he listed the harp as part of the instrumentation. I could find nothing about harp played in Vespers. You may want to contact Paula Fagerberg, who is a specialist in Baroque harp. Her website is http://www.historicalharp.org.

    #61813
    MusikFind1
    Participant

    Per the EMS Music Database
    https://www.emsmusic.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=EMSG27808

    EMS59015 MONTEVERDI, Claudio (1567-1643) – Vespers (1610) (Juergens). UNIVERSAL – large score – UE16646 $159.95
    EMS59017 MONTEVERDI, Claudio (1567-1643) – Vespers (1610) (Juergens). UNIVERSAL – vocal score – UE16648 $41.95
    EMS143507 MONTEVERDI, Claudio (1567-1643) – Vespers (1610) (Juergens). UNIVERSAL – miniature score – PH00470 $56.95

    Additional Name: Marien Vesper
    Scored for: for 2 sopranos, alto, 2 tenors, 2 basses, 2 mixed choirs and orchestra
    Composer: Claudio Monteverdi
    Edited by: Jürgen Jürgens
    Choir: SSATTB
    Soloinstruments/Soloists: 2 Soprane, Alt, 2 Tenöre, 2 Bässe
    Instrumentation: 2 bsn, 3 Kor, 3 tpt(D), 4 tbn, hp, org, 2 rec, hpsd, chitarrone – vln.I, vln.II, vla.I, vla.II, vc.I(solo), vc.II, vc.III, cb.I(solo), cb.II
    Instrumentation details: violin I; violin II; viola I; viola II; violoncello I (solo); violoncello II; violoncello III; contrabass I (solo); contrabass II; 1. recorder (Fifare=Traverso); 2. recorder (Fifare=Traverso); 1. cornett (1. ob.); 2. cornett (2. ob.); 3. cornett (3. ob.); 1. trumpet in D; 2. trumpet in D; 3. trumpet in D; 1. trombone; 2. trombone; 3. trombone; 4. trombone; 1. bassoon; 2. bassoon; organ; hpsd.; chitarrone (+lute); **harp**

    Table of Contents: Domine ad adiuvandum; Dixit Dominus; Nigra sum; Laudate, pueri, Dominum; Pulchra es; Laetatus sum; Duo seraphim; Nisi Dominus; Audi caelum; Lauda, Jerusalem; Sonata sopra “Sancta Maria ora pro nobis”; Ave maris stella; Magnificat
    Remarks: Erstveröffentlichung im Jahre 1610
    Duration (min): 85
    Orchestra material on hire – U.S. Agent EAMDLLC, NYC

    Sound Recording
    All Authors / Contributors:
    Claudio Monteverdi; Nikolaus Harnoncourt; Jürgen Jürgens; Konrad Ruhland; Monteverdi-Chor Hamburg.; Wiener Sängerknaben. Knabensolisten.; Concentus Musicus Wien.; Capella Antiqua München. Choralschola.

    Telefunken: 6.35045 (on container: 6.35045 DX).
    Title on container: Marien-Vesper (1610).
    Title on booklet: Vespers of the Blessed Virgin 1610.
    Program notes by Wolfgang Osthoff in German and English; essay on the structure of the vespers by Konrad Ruhland in German and English; texts in Latin, German and English; performance notes by the conductor in German and English; and notes on the instrumentation and sound-character by N. Harnoncourt in German and English, in booklet (23 p. : ill. ; 31 cm.), laid in container.

    Performer(s):
    Soloists ; Monteverdi-Chor Hamburg ; Knabensolisten der Wiener Sängerknaben ; Concentus Musicus Wien (with original instruments) ; Nikolaus Harnoncourt, leader ; Jürgen Jürgens, conductor. Antiphonen: Choralschola der Capella Antiqua München ; Konrad Ruhland, leader.

    Description:
    2 sound discs : 33 1/3 rpm, stereo. ; 12 in.

    #61814

    Clinton,

    You truly amaze me how you can find information like this on any piece ever written for harp. Where would HC be without your research skills!

    #61815
    Sylvia
    Participant

    I believe there is a harp part for the opera Orfeo.
    I think Clinton works for Kalmus.
    http://www.efkalmus.com/poe.php

    #61816
    rosalind-beck
    Participant

    Sylvia, I did play the opera Orfeo a long time ago with a college orchestra. I’m still curious as to how the Vespers harp part compares to Orfeo.

    #61817
    rosalind-beck
    Participant

    Clinton, is there ANYTHING that can stump you regarding harp literature?? I think not!! Many thanks as always for the benefit of your encyclopedic knowledge.

    #61818
    Sylvia
    Participant

    I’ve never heard of the Vespers, so I’m no help at all. BTW, Kalmus is a great place to get harp parts!

    #61819
    Sylvia
    Participant

    This was on ISMLP, where you’ve probably already looked…
    I don’t see a harp part, so maybe it’s figured bass.

    General Information

    Work Title Vespro della Beata Vergine
    Alternative Title Vespers
    Composer Monteverdi, Claudio
    Opus/Catalogue Number SV 206
    Movements/Sections 14
    First Publication 1610
    Language Latin
    Dedication Pope Paul V (Camillo Borghese, 1552–1621)
    Piece Style Baroque
    Instrumentation Voices: 2 sopranos, 2 tenors, 2 basses + 2 mixed choruses (SATTB)
    Orchestra: 2 flutes, 2 tenor recorders, 3 cornets, trumpet (B♭), 3 tenor trombones, bass trombone + 2 violini da brazzo (violins), 3 viuole da brazzo (violas), bass viuola da brazzo (cello), contrabasso da gamba (double bass)

    #61820

    If you aren’t aware, Clinton was head Music Librarian for many years for the Philadelphia Orchestra when Edna Phillips was harpist. He likely researched deeply into what was available for harp, when conductors such as Leopold Stokowski and Eugene Ormandy were the demanding conductors at that time.

    #61821
    Sylvia
    Participant

    Yes, I’m aware. That info is on the web whenever you look him up.

    #61822

    Thank you for Clinton’s background, Patricia. We are so lucky to have him.

    BTW, the large instrument in the youtube clip is not a lute, but a chitarrone. My mistake.

    So now the question is: Does the original Vespers have a harp part or was it added later. The Jurgens version has harp; the ISLMP does not.

    #61823
    MusikFind1
    Participant

    To clarify the information:
    I do not “work” for Kalmus. I do given them “pro bono” the results of any proofing that I have done on orchestra scores and parts, so that orchestras can save time in rehearsal. I started doing this with the help of The Philadelphia Orchestra Library Interns, and after retiring in 2003 many of those librarians, who are now in positions worldwide, continue to help create corrected editions.
    Miss Phillips was my harp teacher but she had retired by the time I became The Philadelphia Orchestra Librarian in 1975. Having been a music teacher, rental and sales agent for music publishers and then an orchestra librarian, I learned where to find orchestra material. I am “retiring” from doing research and now concentrating on correcting the published Nieweg editions and proofing other PD titles.
    Thanks for the kind words and I hope I have helped musicians since 1950 with research.

    Clinton

    My first source to locate music and then order, if for sale, from that dealer is:

    Educational Music Service
    Printed Music of all types, from all publishers
    33 Elkay Drive
    Chester, NY 10918
    sales@emsmusic.com
    http://www.emsmusic.com/
    ph 845-469-5790
    fax 845-469-5817
    [The music dealer of choice for the major orchestra, choral and band organizations]

    #61824
    rosalind-beck
    Participant

    Thanks Clinton and everyone. I’m thinking Jurgens must have added the harp part. I’m awaiting scans of a couple pages from our music director’s score. From those I hope to be able to ascertain the challenge this part might pose. Our librarian says the part is rental, so I won’t be able to get my hands on it as far in advance as I’d like.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.