column

Advent music

Home Forums Repertoire Advent music

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Gretchen Cover
    Participant

I am looking for new Advent music. There was an earlier thread in Harp column that focused on flute/harp music for Advent. I know that O Come O Come Emannuel seems to be the most popular. The Angel Gabriel from Heaven Came is another. Does The Holly and the Ivy qualify as an Advent piece?

Any music ideas suitable for Advent in the intermediate/advanced intermediate level welcome – lever or pedal harp. I’m sure there are others who are looking for Advent music to play at church services starting Dec. 2. Let’s help each other out with some music suggestions. The one new piece of music I have for Advent is Frank Voltz’s “Gloria.”

Sylvia
    Participant
    ellen-beckerman
    Participant

Are you familiar with “Christmas Lullaby” by Kim Robertson? there are 15 or so beautiful and unique arrangements. I am working on a number of the pieces right now, and really enjoying them. Her Silent Night is breathtaking.

Gretchen Cover
    Participant

Ellen,

I have Kim’s book. I love her arrangements, too, and I greatly appreciate your suggesting it. However, it is Christmas music. It took me a while to learn that Advent music cannot be anything about the birth of Jesus. That music is played Christmas Eve and afterwards especially in the Catholic and Episcopal Church. Advent is about the anticipation of Jesus. That really limits what can be played from our familiar Christmas music.

The website given above my Sylvia was very helpful in explaining Advent. There is just such a limited amount of interesting music.

BTW, I found there is a Spanish carol called “The Icy December” arranged by Ray Pool from Carols from Around the World, Vol. 2 that could be used for Advent.

melissa-gallant
    Participant

Lo, How a Rose ere Blooming is another Advent hymn. There are several arrangements for harp available. Come Thou Long Expected Jesus is another. I know a version of it is in one of the McDonald-Wood Christmas volumes. Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silent is also an Advent hymn that appears in several harp holiday collections.

Sylvia
    Participant
    alexandra-baldwin
    Participant

People Look East (also known as BESANÇON in some hymnals) is a beautiful, up tempo Advent carol. “Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silent” is, as mentioned above, often used as an Advent hymn, although it is really a Eucharistic hymn from the 4th century liturgy of St. James (the words, that is; the music is younger.) So if you play in Catholic churches a lot, it’s also appropriate for Communion!

One of the most beautiful Advent hymns, I think, is “O Heiland Reiss,” (O Savior, Rend the Heavens Wide.) It’s in the Dorian mode, and appears in Maria von Trapp’s “Around the Church’s Year” book as an Advent hymn. You can google search it and it will come up.

ellen-beckerman
    Participant

Hi Gretchen, thank you for that clarification! I had absolutely no idea. I think I come from a background where the word “advent” is used much more loosely. Good to know!

Sylvia
    Participant

Some of the lead sheets on Cardiphonia actually show the music with chord symbols. (others kind of go nowhere, so you have to explore)
    I haven’t needed Advent music, but I’m glad this came up because I wouldn’t have known about it otherwise.

Gretchen Cover
    Participant

Ellen,

I revisited Kim Robertson’s “Celtic Christmas” carol book. There are some suitable Advent pieces: Lo’ How A Rose, Sheep May Safely Graze, and Veni Emmanuel. There are two more I need to check out (Divinium mysterium and Verbum supernum.

We always start with a couple of Eastern European pieces (don’t remember the names) because they sound vaguely Jewish and then move into O Come, O come. One of the pieces we do is Erev Shel Shoshanim which I only suggest if no one knows the words! It’s an erotic love song but sounds mysterious enough to put people in the right frame of mind for advent.

hannah-roberts
    Participant

I love Veni redemptor gencium (both the St. Ambrose plainchant and the later Einsiedeln manuscript) and Elizabeth Poston’s Jesus Christ the Apple Tree. They all sound lovely on harp without even very much arrangement.

hannah-roberts
    Participant

And yes, I think The Holly and the Ivy would be perfectly fine for Advent. That’s a lovely one.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.