Sylvia

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 824 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • Sylvia
    Participant

    But was it titled the Fantasy on Black….for woodwind choir or A Symphonic Prelude on Black….?
    The Fantasy does indeed have harp…I have the part. It is for just woodwinds and harp.
    The Prelude on you tube shows people playing brass, etc….so I’m figuring it’s not the same arrangement.

    Sylvia
    Participant

    This is a composition by Alfred Reed for band. It is for woodwind choir and harp. The arrangement is quite weird.

    in reply to: Artwork/carving on harps #77842
    Sylvia
    Participant

    You don’t say if you are buying a lever harp or pedal…or what type of playing you do.

    I play pedal harp and bought my 1971 LH15 as walnut finish without decoration and my 1989 Etude also with walnut finish.

    They are both shown on my website:
    http://www.WeddingHarpMusic.yolasite.com

    I prefer that finish because it looks more like the wood of the strings in orchestra.
    I don’t care for the natural wood finish because to me it looks anemic and like they just forgot to finish it…but many people prefer the natural, so I’m probably in the minority. At the time I bought my LH15, they always decorated the soundboards, and I actually had to argue with the guy to get them to leave it plain.

    in reply to: Favorite Pop tunes #62106
    Sylvia
    Participant

    These are some I play a lot.
    Phantom of the Opera. I play the theme, Think of me, All I ask of you, Angel of Music, and Music of the night.
    Love Story
    Lara’s Theme
    A time for us
    Ice Castles
    You raise me up
    From this moment on
    Come back to Sorrento
    O Sole Mio
    Don’t cry for me, Argentina
    Wind beneath my Wings
    Somewhere over the Rainbow
    Some Enchanted Evening

    in reply to: Contracts for church gigs? #62717
    Sylvia
    Participant

    Did this grand event take place yet? It would be interesting to know how it all worked out.

    in reply to: Reasons for mysterious gender imbalance in harp playing…? #113298
    Sylvia
    Participant

    What a great performance! (they didn’t show the harp enough, tho)
    I wondered about the strings. Our band has at times had cello and bass, but never fiddles.

    in reply to: Reasons for mysterious gender imbalance in harp playing…? #113294
    Sylvia
    Participant

    In fact, when my teacher wanted to buy a new harp, he felt obliged to buy a Salzedo model, even though he DID NOT LIKE the style!
    That’s how powerful the Salzedo charisma was (still is for some people).
    I wouldn’t play a Salzedo model if someone GAVE it to me. Neither do I play the technique.

    in reply to: Reasons for mysterious gender imbalance in harp playing…? #113292
    Sylvia
    Participant

    Yes, he did. My teacher (a man) was a student of Salzedo’s!

    in reply to: Reasons for mysterious gender imbalance in harp playing…? #113290
    Sylvia
    Participant

    Back a few centuries ago when I was young, I had the impression that the harp world was dominated by men….Grandjany, Zabaleta, Salzedo, Osian Ellis…all European.

    I think Women’s Lib had something to do with women getting out to play more, as in other fields of work. They no longer wanted to stay home and clean the house, and gadgets were becoming widespread…an automatic washer and dryer…a self-defrosting refrigerator (yep, it took a lot of time and bother to defrost), i.e. labor-saving devices that freed up time for women. (The countertop microwave oven was first introduced in 1967 by the Amana Corporation, according to Wikipedia.)

    in reply to: Favorite recording of Ceremony of Carols #62079
    Sylvia
    Participant

    Marisa Robles, harpist
    Mine is an ancient 1965 vinyl (it’s in CD now)…Choir of St. John’s College, Cambridge.

    in reply to: best comment yet #113267
    Sylvia
    Participant

    It looks like the American Harp Society is somehow linked to Anderson insurance now.
    No one else on the forum is an AHS member? That seems odd.
    I somehow got lost in the transition when Goodman merged with AJG, but it looks like Anderson is the one we use now?

    in reply to: Heartland Harps carbon fiber pedal #77779
    Sylvia
    Participant

    Isn’t there an elevator? Doesn’t the UK have laws assuring access for the handicapped?

    in reply to: best comment yet #113251
    Sylvia
    Participant

    I always tell them the current cost, as per the insurance company replacement cost. People are really ignorant about harps, so I like to help out by educating them.

    in reply to: best comment yet #113247
    Sylvia
    Participant

    LOL. That was wonderful.

    in reply to: Being replace by an IPad #113199
    Sylvia
    Participant

    All I can say is…I love Aunt Margaret’s dress…and also the one with the duct tape…would like to have both, please. They’d be great for harping at outdoor summer weddings!

Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 824 total)