harpcolumn

pain below right shoulder blade

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums How To Play pain below right shoulder blade

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    ellen-beckerman
    Participant

Has anyone else ever had pain below or underneath the right shoulder blade? Sometime between the shoulder blades? I have had this intermittently for a few years, and it only happens when I play, but it can get quite bothersome. I am looking at it right now with a physical therapist, and it is a hair better, but very stubborn. I am in the process of preparing for a series of Christmas gigs, two of which are 4 hours long (!), so I can’t exactly stop practicing right now, but have pared my practice time down to two hours per day. Any thoughts? Thanks!!

emma-graham
    Participant

Yes, I had this for several years. It was really tiring to keep playing through the pain but I saw endless doctors, therapists etc who could find nothing wrong so I just had to keep muddling through! At the time I was playing a LH style 17. When I changed up to a style 11 the pain went away almost immediately. I’m guessing either my posture changed or the fact that I was sitting lower in relation to the harp (same stool, taller harp) must have had an effect. Maybe you could try sitting at different heights to see if that helps. I also now do Alexander technique lessons regularly too.

ellen-beckerman
    Participant

Emma that is so helpful. I’ve been on a higher stool than I normally sit on as I had hip replacement surgery in the fall. I will try a lower chair. Maybe that is all it takes. Wouldn’t that be great?? I am unfamiliar with the Alexander technique, but will look it up.

Sylvia
    Participant

I think you might be sitting too high…just a guess.

emma-graham
    Participant

I have Alexander lessons with a brilliant teacher who also happens to be a professional musician. It’s really helping my general posture and well being. This e-book might be helpful to you. It’s quite eye opening!
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/An-Alexander-Technique-Approach-Harp-ebook/dp/B004JKMSXE

Angela Biggs

Emma, I’ve had persistent left shoulder pain with harp playing (if I play long enough, my shoulder freezes up completely for up to a few days), so I’m starting Alexander lessons next month too. Is your teacher able to apply the lessons directly to the harp, or do you have to do that on your own? I’ve seen the e-book but don’t have an e-reader, so it hasn’t been an option.

emma-graham
    Participant

Hi Angela. My teacher plays the flute and used to work with a harpist regularly so she can apply the lessons directly to the the harp. This week she has suggested that she comes to my house so she can see me play and really work on my sitting position with the harp there. She is brilliant. I have had really bad neck pain for about 5 years as well as wrist pain in both wrists. The neck pain has gone completely which is a great start. I’m hopeful everything will be sorted eventually. Good luck with your lessons.

susan-rutherford
    Participant

Angela – you can read Kindle e-books on a computer with a free app (same is true for other ebook formats, using Adobe Digital Editions for example). Here’s the link to info re the Kindle app for use on a mac:

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/feature.html/ref=kcp_mac_mkt_lnd?docId=1000817691

I assume there’s a similar app for windows computers.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.