Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
Sylvia
ParticipantSeems like some composers think we play vertical pianos with all five fingers on each hand. I appreciate it when they DON’T clutter up the music with what they think the pedals should be.
Sylvia
ParticipantI use a piece of leather from an old key chain. Leather is skin, and it sounds right.
Sylvia
ParticipantI wouldn’t even consider that kind of setup. You’re an adult, and it’s important for you to learn how to manage your playing opportunities. That’s just part of the job. You’ll be out playing long after the teacher has retired.
Sylvia
ParticipantIf they are providing you a harp to play on, by all means discount. You might want to ask if there is a harp there for you to play, or will you have to bring one. Some churches do actually own a harp.
Since that is unlikely,it means you must haul a harp, which is back-breaking hard work any way you slice it. You have 4 loadings or unloadings…home, site, site re-load, and home….whether you play one song or the whole time.
Sometimes people will say…oh, we only need you to play a few songs….GAHChurches seem to think we’re like nomadic organists….but their organist didn’t buy the organ, they don’t have to transport it, tune it, insure it, put parts on it…they just walk in and play it. Just consider how much you paid for your harp, extra strings, etc…and how long it takes to earn that amount of money by playing.
I know I sound grim, but I’ve had people actually challenge me because I got paid more than the church musician!
Sylvia
ParticipantPlease post the pics.
Sylvia
ParticipantSo sorry that happened!
I was at an event when a guy carrying a stand whammed the bottom of it right into the base by my lower sound board.leaving a dent, of course…he just smiled and went on.
It’s really not deliberate 🙁 They’re idiots. They think the harp is just a piece of furniture.
I was playing a bridal shower when they started piling things up right by my column…including a broom and dust pan. I just got up and stared…they looked ashamed and came and took the stuff away.
Nervousness DOES have its purpose. We have to guard our harp all the time.Sylvia
ParticipantI will defend the cat. It was not the cat’s fault. Ahem. Dogs bark; cats climb. Mother Nature makes them that way.
Sylvia
ParticipantA climbing cat can tip the harp over.
Sylvia
ParticipantI cover my harps only when transporting them to a playing job.
I dust them occasionally (not too good a housekeeper)….soft cloth for board and pastry brush for discs, etc.
I have cats who would probably love to climb up harp covers (mine are canvas and nylon).Sylvia
ParticipantMy email is available on my Forums profile… harpsylvia@aol.com
I’ve scanned. I just need your address, Phiippa.Sylvia
ParticipantYes, I play it almost every year. We’ve done it about six times, I think. Music less than 50 yrs old is not available on ISMLP. If you send me your email address, I’ll try and scan the sections.
Every harp player is different, but I find it very difficult, and I start reviewing it long before rehearsals start. (I always copy and keep music.)
Most everything in it is VERY exposed, and the notes kind of don’t go together and are oddly arranged. Some sections are straight forward, thank goodness.It’s just my opinion, and everyone’s skills are different, so you might not find it as hard as I do.
Someone else might tell you something entirely different.Sylvia
ParticipantIs there any other entrance you could use? …maybe rolling thru the house and out another door?
Sylvia
ParticipantThere have been lots of comments about this, but I see no one has answered, so I’ll say it, though to some it might seem negative.
I would say that if you own the house and plan to keep living there, put in a ramp. Perhaps a carpenter could construct a temporary one.The reason I say this is that though you say you are strong, and you are probably still young, everyone gets older, and there are occasional health problems that turn up for most people. That is why I would advise you to look to the future and make yourself comfortable so you can be independent with your harp. Your neighbors must be nice, but sometimes neighbors move away, and even if they don’t, harp moving might be an imposition….one they really don’t want.
BTW, I have a 3-wheeler, and it is heavy. Great for curbs and such, but I would not do 9 steps with it, especially on a regular basis.
Sylvia
Participanthttp://javanese.imslp.info/files/imglnks/usimg/0/0b/IMSLP327920-PMLP48987-Gounod_-_Faust_-_Harpe.pdf
I suppose you’ve already been to IMSLP, but in case you haven’t, here it is.
I don’t know if it would help you or not.
I’m not familiar with it, but I wonder how much of it can actually be heard.Sylvia
ParticipantAs I suggested before, try marketing yourself locally. What I do is email a blurb with my info and website on it to local venues and wedding coordinators. It doesn’t cost anything, and it lets them know what kinds of music I play and how it sounds (they can listen to the music samples), and what I look like…which is not blonde and pretty.
-
AuthorPosts