Sylvia

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 824 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Orchestra Blues #185240
    Sylvia
    Participant

    I’m wondering if the conductor is a university student himself. The harp parts are in the Romantic Era repertoire, which is harder to conduct (I’ve heard) than other stuff. Maybe it’s the conductor’s lack of experience, or as you said, lack of knowledge about what has harp.
    I would make it clear to him (without being pushy) that I’d love to play more, and he might ask you what has harp…so you could be ready with suggestions.

    in reply to: Left-handed harpists #185177
    Sylvia
    Participant

    Thanks for the input. I was wondering if any forum members were lefties. Seems like harp and keyboard tend to be right-hand-oriented because the melody is carried (usually) in the right hand.

    in reply to: Humidity levels in colder climate #185152
    Sylvia
    Participant

    What about keeping the cover on when you aren’t playing?

    in reply to: Left-handed harpists #185133
    Sylvia
    Participant

    Interesting slant on hands.
    Harpo didn’t read music, according to his bio. I forgot he was a leftie. He played beautifully.
    I just wondered about it because I’m very right-dominant and play a free left hand on my rep music. When I have to play a real left hand, like with opera parts, I have to really work at it.
    I wonder about string players because their left really does the work.

    in reply to: My new motto #185012
    Sylvia
    Participant

    It’s the ear of the listener…and they hear it differently from what we hear.
    I am primarily a wedding, dinner, etc. harpist, (so maybe it’s not the same for recitalists) and I’ve gotten some of my best compliments when I felt I had messed up.
    ex: Once I messed up part of Ceilito Lindo, and this lady came up with tears in her eyes and told me it was the most beautiful Ceilito Lindo she’d ever heard. She was serious! I kept a straight face and thanked her.

    in reply to: My worst nightmare…. #185006
    Sylvia
    Participant

    I did a number on my left wrist rollerblading in November ’98. There was no name for the fracture…he called it smithereens. I didn’t have a cast. First, I went to surgery, (2 docs) and they put on a metal bar from the hand to the arm called a fixator, which sticks up (it’s not under the skin) and draws comments like “bionic arm”. (They drill a hole in the hand bone and the arm bone.)

    Mine looked like the first image here.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=wrist+and+fixator&oq=wrist+and+fixator&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l3.5548j0j7&sourceid=chrome&espv=2&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8

    Then they waited a while to see if the pieces would all come together. They didn’t. After about a month, they decided to go to surgery again and put in a plate. The Dr. told me later it took them a long time to decide how to put the plate in because it was hard to find anything to attach it to. Cheery.

    Anyway, the upshot was by March, the fixator was off and I started therapy because my hand and wrist wouldn’t move. I didn’t wear a sling, but the left arm and hand couldn’t bear any weight because of the pins, plate, etc…until it had all settled. It didn’t take long, tho, to get things going, and I started going out to play very soon…so I was sidelined from about mid-Nov. till the end of March….but then I used my smaller harp, the Aoyama Etude, until November because my left arm was so weak.

    After all that, the only thing I do differently are harmonics in the left hand…I do them the same way as harmonics in the right because my wrist can’t quite bend back enough…and I can’t do hand stands over. (I quit skating. sigh)
    So even tho it seems the end of the world at the moment, hopefully yours will also heal up and be fine again. I, too, wondered if I’d ever play again.

    in reply to: What did you play in 2014/what's up for 2015 #184874
    Sylvia
    Participant

    I just learned those two songs because the bride wants to walk in on lK and out on Everything I Do. I learned just the first part of Everything because I figure that will get her out…she doesn’t have far to go.

    in reply to: What did you play in 2014/what's up for 2015 #184865
    Sylvia
    Participant

    I just learned A Thousand Years and Everything I do for a wedding coming up in March.
    I also just learned the theme from The Godfather because I think it’s pretty, and music in minor helps vary the sound of dinner music.
    I think your rep kind of depends on where you are. I play lots of Mexican music, but others probably don’t.

    in reply to: Stage Craft #184559
    Sylvia
    Participant

    I wonder why people think harpists should smile while playing. I really can’t imagine a string player (Casals-cello, or a violinist) smiling while playing.

    in reply to: Stage Craft #184522
    Sylvia
    Participant

    How weird. I was just thinking about the smile thing.
    And I know I’m not answering your question.

    Once I sent someone’s web site to a friend, and she commented that the harpist was smiling and looked so happy playing. I commented that the harpist was NOT playing…she was just posing for the picture.

    I think the only person who successfully smiled and played at the same time was Harpo…because he was trying to look silly. If I saw a harpist smiling while playing, I’d wonder what was distracting her/him from the music. Sometimes, something might cause me to smile, but it would be a distraction of some kind.

    At a baby shower, I think I smile when I play “This old Man” or “Twinkle,” but that would be the kind of thing where a smile would be appropriate.

    I suppose someone will write in about Salzedo and the pencil in the teeth while practicing. If that’s your thing, go for it!

    in reply to: Rachmaninoff Symphony 3 opus 44 #184383
    Sylvia
    Participant

    The score is on IMSLP, but not the individual parts.
    http://imslp.org/wiki/Symphony_No.3,_Op.44_%28Rachmaninoff,_Sergei%29

    in reply to: Spare Strings #184345
    Sylvia
    Participant

    Biago. I throw them away. As my teacher once said…if it’s old enough to break, it’s old enough to break again. (if it is a thick gut, I cut off a little to use for string blocks if my supply is low.)
    Gretchen. As for wires, in the old days, they were made differently and never broke. The first time I broke a wire, I called LH and complained. The guy told me they were making them differently because “you people leave them on till they’re green.” I admit mine did get kind of greenish. It was a shock to know I couldn’t leave them on forever.

    in reply to: Spare Strings #184336
    Sylvia
    Participant

    I play pedal harp, and I always carry a full set, except for the bottom two wires. The only two times I remember strings breaking, they were wires…which sound like a gunshot…but the string just stays there, kind of loose but not looking broken, while everyone looks around for the gun.
    Eventually, you will need a full set anyway because strings do need changing. They can go false. The guts can start to fray, and the wires need to be kept from getting too old….or they break and sound like gunshots.
    The difference between carrying a full set and an un-full set is no big deal. There isn’t much weight or bulk involved with a string bag in your gig bag.

    in reply to: Why You Should Never Have Taken up the Harp? #184245
    Sylvia
    Participant

    Why would anyone ask for an article like that?

    in reply to: Pedal harps suitable for small players #184210
    Sylvia
    Participant

    Who is going to be moving the harp?
    When I got my LH 15, I wanted a grand, but I couldn’t afford it. Once I started going out to play events, I was SOOO glad I didn’t get a grand. I’ve played both orchestra and opera on my 15.

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 824 total)