Sylvia

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 824 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • Sylvia
    Participant
    Sylvia
    Participant

    On the video at the top, it said Grandjany, so that’s what I put…oh, well.
    Anyway, here are some more of this little girl…even littler.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=alisa+sadikova+biography&oq=Alisa+Sadikova&aqs=chrome.3.69i57j0l5.12309j0j7&sourceid=chrome&espv=2&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8

    in reply to: Burnout #144558
    Sylvia
    Participant

    Sorry this is so long.
    I wondered if I read it right. You played 3-5 times a YEAR? That’s barely enough to get a toe wet. Have you played at local nursing homes, retirement centers, etc.?

    When I first started going out to play, I was paralyzed by stage fright…and with a pedal harp, you can have lots more magnificent fails than with a lever.

    I started going regularly to all the nursing homes within range…I was out at least once a week, whether I felt like it or not. It was fail-safe. They didn’t know or care if I played mistakes. (I’m a memorizer, so all my personal rep is memorized.)

    After a couple of years, I added another dimension. We have here what are called Winter Texan parks, so I begged my way into as many as possible, and was going out (except the months the winter people weren’t here) almost every week to one of those…in addition to the nursing homes. The parks take up a collection, but I was lucky to get anywhere from $20-maybe $80 for my efforts….but it was great because they were an audience that was very aware, and I was always on a STAGE. Also, I had to TALK to them…like as in announcing what I was playing, plus standing up to bow, and then sitting back down again and re-focusing for each song. Not easy. (I heard later that it’s country music and preachers that make gobs of money at the parks…I mean like hundreds, for an appearance.)

    However, after several years of this constant exposure, I weathered tremendously and got a lot more comfortable in front of an audience. No way is it like being in your living room. I just had to get the feel of people watching and listening. If I had been going out only 3-5 times a year, I’d still be a basket case.

    Yes, I played a lot for free, but I was the one who benefited.
    And I never, ever play free for an actual benefit, by the way. I did that a couple of times when I was new, and then someone told me they saw me playing somewhere I hadn’t been. Well, that someplace was the same people paying another harpist to play their house party, (BTW, I didn’t even look like her, and her harp was light and mine is dark) but they had conned me into playing the benefit for free. After that, I never did another one for anyone…I always tell them my fee and let them go away.

    So if you think you’re the only one ever to fall on your face in public, you are quite mistaken. My record is probably unbeatable…but I gained the confidence I needed to be able to play paying jobs well. I might add that recording the performance really helps. Sometimes those mistakes seem to last a lifetime, but when you listen, it’s only a few seconds.

    So the word from here is don’t hide at home…share your beautiful harp music…Just get out there and play, and play, and play.

    in reply to: Lesson I am Learning #144393
    Sylvia
    Participant

    $175 is unacceptable, of course. When someone offers me a laughable amount, I laugh and tell them I wouldn’t even consider it.

    I didn’t address the price issue because harpists are few down here, and I don’t know what anyone charges. I charge what I think I should get. Luckily, I don’t depend on harping except to pay for the groceries.

    String quartets are the all the rage here, and they probably do package deals for the wedding and reception, I would guess.

    in reply to: Lesson I am Learning #144391
    Sylvia
    Participant

    I felt kind of sick when I read Onita’s post. How many centuries does it take? If they’re looking for harp music like what you do…they should hire you…plain and simple.

    As for advertising, I’ve been advertising in two local wedding mags for way too long. No more. I started noticing that almost ALL my work comes from my own referrals…people or places I’ve played for before.

    About once a month or so, I email out a blurb to local event centers and wedding planners. It doesn’t cost anything, and it reminds them I’m here. Though they are listed in the mags, I don’t think they bother to look thru the mags.

    in reply to: Hello . #144378
    Sylvia
    Participant

    Sorry. I thought you meant you had recovered your harp and music. I read it wrong. Someday you will have a harp again. Hope you are safe now.

    in reply to: Hello . #144356
    Sylvia
    Participant

    So glad you were rescued…and you have your harp!

    in reply to: odd sounding string #144209
    Sylvia
    Participant

    Which octave G is it?
    Is it gut or nylon?

    in reply to: Resphigi: Trittico Bottecelliano #144192
    Sylvia
    Participant
    in reply to: Lever Harp parts for orchestra #144044
    Sylvia
    Participant

    If you really want to play orchestra, have you considered getting a pedal harp?
    Community orchestras are great for learning, and so are community bands.

    in reply to: sharing harp stories #143767
    Sylvia
    Participant

    As for publishing a book….it is expensive, and then you have to market it, package it, and ship it.
    I published THE LOVELY WEDDING, a book (two volumes) of harpisodes about experiences playing for weddings. Hopefully, readers can get some good laughs…that was my intention.

    I can say that it has not made the NYT bestseller list, even tho the price is low. Just recouping what you pay to publish is hard to do. Only harpists would be interested, and I think most of them don’t read books.

    in reply to: notifications #143598
    Sylvia
    Participant

    Same as Kay. They’re back again…

    Sylvia
    Participant

    I just tell them I need a solid surface to play on, and either I’m placed on concrete (like porch, sidewalk, etc.), or they can provide a board, 4X6 ft. for me and the harp. I have no room in my station wagon for anything like that anyway. Just tell them what you need, and let THEM provide it. You have enough to haul around as it is.

    in reply to: Hand Strain Not Getting Better! #143473
    Sylvia
    Participant

    Jodi, what technique are you being taught? I didn’t see any mention of it, so I wondered. Hope your anti-inflammatories work.

    in reply to: harp and the brain #142872
    Sylvia
    Participant

    Interesting post.
    Math and science are languages I do not understand. I wonder why anyone would associate those with music.

    I’ve played pedal harp for many decades. My personal rep is all memorized (see my website http://www.WeddingHarpMusic.yolasite.com for lists). I use a free left hand for all but the Ave Maria and the Jesu, joy, which are harp arrangements.

    I play “all those notes” when I play opera, orchestra or band parts.
    I admire people who can just read off the music and play it…I have to work at it a long time.

Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 824 total)