harpcolumn

Insurance shopping.

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Insurance shopping.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    jimmy-h
    Participant

I’m shopping for insurance for a new L&H 2000. I’ve gotten email quotes from Clarion and Anderson. One is almost twice as much a year than the other. I’m ok with either cost so long as I’m getting appropriate coverage.

I’d like to know, are there advantages to any companies? Any pitfalls I should be aware of?

I know about the having to lock your vehicle thing, but I’m not planning to do any transporting for almost a year anyways. Plus it’s Texas, too hot to be leaving it in a vehicle and again Texas so a locked door is not the biggest obstacle a thief has to face here. This is a long delayed dream for me, I’m excited and a bit nervous.

Jimmy, if you have Home Insurance already, you might ask that company if a “floater” added to your existing policy might give you the coverage you wish for your harp, whether it is at home, in transit, or away, and what fee they charge.

jimmy-h
    Participant

I’ll call them this week. Thanks.

Angela Biggs

Jimmy, about the home insurance — that may very well be all you need if *never* use your harp for an income-generating activity, but be very careful. If you once get paid for what you’re doing, make sure you have coverage that will still cover you for “business” purposes (even if it’s not a business and just an income-generating hobby). Best of luck. 🙂

carl-swanson
    Participant

As a harp repairman of many years, I would not advise insuring any musical instrument on a homeowner’s policy. There are several reasons. The first is that, on a homeowner’s policy, “complete coverage” is fire and theft, but not accidental damage, which is the main one any musical instrument owner is interested in. The second reason for not using homeowner’s is that it may cover the harp only when it is in the home. You want a “floating” policy, which will cover the harp wherever it is(in another building, in the car, etc.). The third reason is that if there is an accident requiring a claim, any musical instrument owner most likely has a repair facility that they want to send the instrument to, and a homeowner’s policy will probably require you to get three estimates for the repair cost and then require you to use the cheapest one.

Musical instrument insurers are used to dealing with, well, musical instruments. They already know that accidental damage is the biggest concern. They also know that instruments are being moved constantly and so cover the instrument everywhere, including when it is being shipped to the repair facility. And they never make the decision as to who will repair your musical instrument. They know that you are the best judge of who should do that. So I advise everyone in the strongest way possible to insure their instruments with an agency that specializes in musical instrument insurance.

jimmy-h
    Participant

I’m not going with my home insurance. I don’t plan on doing a lot of transporting for a while, and no gigs or anything. I do, however, want to occasionally take the harp to lessons and visits with family. I’d like more protection for that.

What I’m most surprised by is the cost difference quoted between the companies. I’m curious what insurance companies people chose and why. I’m reading up on it, but it would be foolish not to learn from such an esteemed a group as the one on this forum.

Tacye
    Participant

Just to confirm the obvious – there isn’t something that looks like a patent number on the mechanism side plate?

Anirishman

Here is a photo of the name on the plate…no number.

Tacye
    Participant

That is really odd – because both Pierre and Sebastian are misspelled and the mechanism with the springs in the neck is an early one – before Pierre’s involvement. I would treat that inscription very sceptically!

Tacye
    Participant

This is a picture of the inscription on a later Erard single action – the address on yours is missing its ‘great’ too and I doubt the typeface.
    http://www.eagleharps.com/images/Erard_Black_Single_1269/pages/DSC_0790_s.htm

Anirishman

Interesting observations, thank you for sharing…the mystery continues!

Sid Humphreys
    Participant

What about looking inside the bottom of the base? Does it remove the same way modern harps do? I know the serial number on my L&H is stamped inside there as well. What a cool mystery you have there!!

Anirishman

That is a good idea Sid. Some other people I contacted in England also gave me suggestions of where to look near the bottom of the harp both inside the sound box and with the base removed. I will post if I discover anything. It is indeed a “cool mystery” and rather exciting to have become a harp sleuth!

jessica-wolff
    Participant

Umm..I have a ram’s-head Erard like that one, fluted col., Great Marlborough Street, and the number 1805 or 1807. I always assumed that was the DATE. Am I wrong?

Carl, you steered me right on a harp-hauling car. Now I would be interested in your suggestion for an agency that specializes in harp insurance. I currently have Anderson, but I’m wondering about other options. Do you have some suggestions?
    Thanks….

Briggsie

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.