harpcolumn

L&H Style 150

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories L&H Style 150

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    eliza-morrison
    Participant

Is anyone else feeling a little ‘underwhelmed’ by the special edition Style 150 from Lyon and Healy? It’s attractive, but I guess I was expecting something a little more unique in honor of this milestone anniversary.

Gretchen Cover
    Participant

Let’s hope the sound is better than the look of the 150. At least it is in the affordable range.

brook-boddie
    Participant

I played one at the factory when I was there last month. It had a lovely sound. It’s a beautiful harp up close; I don’t think the pictures do it justice. I would have considered it, but I was specifically looking for an ebony harp. I’d say the sound was equal to that of an 85CG.

eliza-morrison
    Participant

Brook, did you find an ebony?

brook-boddie
    Participant

Eliza, I did–a beautiful Style 100 harp. I’ll see if I can attach a picture. It’s everything I’ve ever wanted in a pedal harp and more. I chose it from a group of three ebony harps–two Style 100’s and an 85CG. They were all great harps, but this one spoke to me the most.

eliza-morrison
    Participant

Brook, that is a gorgeous harp! I have always loved the Style 100 with its deeply fluted column. Every 100 I’ve ever played has had a wonderful sound as well.

Regarding the 150 — it is sleek and nice looking, but the design seems kind of….uninspired, I guess. Not terribly imaginative. Not worthy of a major event. Maybe others will disagree with me, as it is all in the eye of the beholder. It is nice to see that it is priced reasonably. L&H already makes plenty of very expensive instruments!

Jerusha Amado
    Participant

Could someone post a photo of it?

eliza-morrison
    Participant

Will try….

Sid Humphreys
    Participant

This is what I remember the 85 series looking like back in the 90’s, before they were doing the fluted column. The base is the same as the 100… yeah, I’m a little disappointed that they didn’t come up with a new and unique design for the anniversary.

Jerusha Amado
    Participant

Thank you Eliza!
    I find the design to be uninspiring, rather plain and nondescript.

I really like clean and classic but, yes, it’s a little understated for a special event.

eliza-morrison
    Participant

I know what you mean, Jennifer…I have no objection to simplicity, and clean lines can be very elegant and lovely, but…this was an opportunity for them to design something new, something unlike anything we’ve seen before. On that basis, it’s kind of a letdown. Not that it’s unattractive or anything. But it’s hard to imagine anyone getting wildly excited over this harp. It doesn’t really take your breath away, does it?

kreig-kitts

I understand not designing a whole new harp model, since all of the expense of designing a new model would have just gone toward cannibalizing their own product line when customers bought a 150 instead of a 30 or 100 or whatever. I doubt even the most amazing designs would have resulted in more total harp sales. Given this harp’s uncanny resemblance to the recently discontinued Salvi Orchestra but with the same base as the new Style 100, it seems more like a tweak of an existing design they already had, which is fine and all, and I find it a fairly attractive harp with a clean design, but probably not worth trumpeting too loudly.

catherine-rogers
    Participant

I remember eagerly anticipating the 100th anniversary model harp (1989) but being disappointed. I saw only a photo but it was not what I expected or hoped. Wonder if anyone bought it.

Sid Humphreys
    Participant

I see your point Kreig, it can be counter-productive to introduce a whole new model harp, at least from a Board of Director’s point. But this was supposed to be a “special harp.” In fact, they only really needed to make one. Back in the day, (every year) L&H’s best workmen were given carte blanche to produce a one and only harp design. Not that they should still do this every year, but for a milestone like this, it would create excitement.
    I don’t know how many of these special harps there are out there and it would be great if some were found and picture were posted!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.