Sid Humphreys

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 362 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Transposing app or program #113169

    It can be done with the full version of Finale, or so I’ve been told. I have the full version but you must first white out the title and all other characters that aren’t music as this confuses the program

    in reply to: Comment on my playing #62738

    Very nice! Like Sylvia said, practice the righthand slowly. It would be nice to have a few raises at the end of the phrasing (I was watching your shadow!) Also don’t be so quick to set the harp down at the end.

    in reply to: Dear John Rutter #62005

    Alison, I think it would be presumptuous to ask Catrin to do so.

    in reply to: Dear John Rutter #62002

    Alison, I played the Requiem just a few months ago, I was surprised that it really wan’t hard (usually Rutter is notey and fast). You’ll like it I’m sure. The Gloria isn’t hard inn the harp either, it’s just the way it’s presented that makes it difficult.
    I did put in the pedal diagram (white tape) over the printed markings for the glisses but if you follow the music there is no need to change pedals for most of them. It just causes panic when you see 7 pedal markings in the one beat measure before a gliss!

    in reply to: Dear John Rutter #61995

    No Carl, the markings for the pedals are correct. But in one measure of rest, for example, you have an E natural over an F sharp followed by a C sharp. Should be E over C followed by F. Then every time there is a gliss, all pedals are marked (if you’ve been playing as written, by the time you gloss the pedals are set). When you’re reading this piece it looks like 7 pedal changes in one measure (one beat to the measure). When all pedals are written, they are in this order, c d e f g a b.
    I can usually quickly make out others pedal markings but this is a part of the printed music. I can’t even begin to describe how confusing this piece looks. BTW, all previous markings had been erased. If this piece weren’t rental only I’d buy my own part and use some white-out!

    in reply to: Contracts for church gigs? #62681

    LOL , I remember this performance David! I had forgotten about the tiger last year!!

    in reply to: Contracts for church gigs? #62676

    Jimmy, Prestonwood Baptist Church in Plano, TX does shows like this every year. I’ve seen camels, peacocks, horses, etc. on stage for the birth of Jesus. Pyrotechnics, angles flying across the 1700 person sanctuary. I missed the year they had elephants!
    David, Forward them their own email and back out. Kay is right. $750 isn’t worth it!

    in reply to: Will harps stay tuned in cold and windy weather? #77665

    70 degrees isn’t cold. Try taking your harp out on your patio or lawn and playing a bit to get accustomed to playing outside.

    in reply to: Seating situation during symphony performance #62731

    Sometimes, if I have a long break (like a piece or two that don’t require harp), I will sit on an orchestra chair that has a back. It’s hard on the spine to sit for long periods with no back support. Of course, I would NEVER do this during a piece as it would cause a distraction! This wouldn’t be something I’d do during an evening symphony though. More like a matinee, not wearing black tie.

    in reply to: humidifier question #113134

    A good way to get lime and mineral deposit out of the tank is to soak it with vinegar and water. Perhaps once a month clean out the tank with bleach and water then allow it to dry before using it. Hope this helps!

    in reply to: Help Identifying this HARP? #77636

    It would be easier to tell if the picture were showing the other side of the harp. Also look inside the sound box for any artist signatures.

    in reply to: What harp would this be? #77616

    I looked but the picture is too small and fuzzy to make it out….

    in reply to: Anything you are not keen on ?? #61932

    About 4 year ago, I did Chadwick’s Symphonic Sketches. I didn’t care for the harp part at all. It was difficult to learn and could hardly be heard, except for the Noel; that was the hardest, I think the harp was playing 6 notes to the violins 4. Bleh! I hate remembering that performance! LOL

    in reply to: Insurance for older harps #77463

    I have no “fine print” in my contract Alexandra, so I don’t know what Evelyn is talking about. I do, however, know several professional harpists that had mishaps with their harps (one was dropped by stage hands as it was being lifted out of an orchestra pit, it broke in to pieces). Anderson was quick to settle the three cases that I know of and even helped locate harps to rent while the new ones were on the way. I think they cover the cost of rental as well (need to double check my contract).
    I have also covered my wooden stand, artists bench, dolly and amp as well.

    in reply to: Insurance for older harps #77459

    Evelyn, could you be more specific? I’ve had nothing but impeccable service from Anderson. I have read my contract though and see nothing wrong.

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 362 total)