Sid Humphreys

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 362 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Looking for Vince Pierce #152262

    Eva,

    Did you used to play at Addison Cafe back in the 90’s? I think that was the name of the restraunt, it was on Addison Road just north of Beltline….

    Sid Humphreys

    in reply to: Spillage? #109713

    Since having my L&H 23 since ’94, I have been proud to say that there has been no spillage, that is until tonight. I was rehearsing with my choral group, resounding harmony on a piece called Song of Wisdom (music for “Old Turtle”, look up this story on youtube, it’s great). As the narrator of the piece started her story, she threw her arm out, knocking over a glass of water that was on th podium, spilling the water all over the column and base of my harp! She was mortified. Being as professional as possible I didn’t blink. Just got up and went to the rest room for a stack of paper towels to sop up the mess. The narrator was mortified, and proceeded to narrate and help me sop up the water as she spoke. Keep in mind this IS a rehearsal. The conductor kept going. I had already missed my entrance but drying my instrument was priority. We are getting to the part where the choir comes in and one of the flutes is out of tune… the conductor cuts us off to tune the flute!!!! I remember someone having a thread about harpists and orchestras. They expect so much of the harpist (God forbid you miss a note) yet have sympathy for other “normal” instruments! Luckily the 3rd movement of the piece has no harp part and I was able to finish drying off. I have to admit it was the best I have ever done on this piece. Perhaps it was the distraction that helped my performance, who knows? I asked Cynthia (the narrator) to throw a glass of water at me for the performance (in 2 weeks) for good luck!

    in reply to: String Popping…a record? #109759

    I can see how that could happen while changing a wire string. I’ve come close cutting the old wire in half and not having a hold on both ends as I cut. It was a good wake up call!

    in reply to: String Popping…a record? #109753

    I once had a 1rst oct C pop during a choir concert that I was playing (it wapped me really well on the right cheek). Lucky that there were enough rests to quickly put a new string on before playing a gliss that ended on that note! It was a little flat at that point… (hindsight) should have just used Bsharp but who thinks when they are slapped in the face with a gut string!

    in reply to: How do they get graded? #160941

    Yes, I see that now… but I don’t think it’s a reversed video.I keep looking for something to reference left or right.

    in reply to: Salvi Petit Diana or Angelica? #72845

    Umm, excuse my ignorance, what is a “petite” Diana? I only know of one and it’s not so petite!

    Sid

    in reply to: tuning by ear #85897

    Mel,

    Try this. Use your electric metronome to get a concert A or use a tuning fork. Tune as many A’s as you can using harmonics to double check. Then play a fifth down. You should hear a wavey sound. Tune until that “wave” is smooth. Then go an octive from there and double check with harmonics.Keep doing fifths until you’ve done all the strings.

    in reply to: Stuck harp knot #160026

    The needle is a good way to get it out. Just be sure to cut the string first to release all the tention.

    in reply to: How do you part with your first harp? #109787

    Wow Kari,

    That’s tough. The only way I was able to part with my first harp was to trade it in as a down payment on a larger pedal harp. The young woman that bought my first harp was to play it in her church in San Antonio TX, that gave me a sence that it was going to a good place and would be well cared for. I did get teary eyed as she and her husband drove off with it ( I even stopped them to give her a few gut strings in case one or more broke in the tranport!). Because of that sale I now have a concert grand that I play at my church, it’s my baby now and I know that my first harp is happy in that church in San Antonio!

    Sid

    in reply to: How do you know if you should quit? #160489

    Gillian,

    I agree with Kay. Take a break and try reading Dr. Carrols Power Performance. You may find that a different approach is what you need, but taking a break is vital (I think ) when you need a new attiude.

    Sid

    in reply to: Seeking Autumn Leaves Arrangment #110016

    Elanor Fell does has

    in reply to: My First Time #161159

    My problem is the opposite! I can play the piano, speak or sing in front of an audience and have no problem. Put me in front of the harp and I tremble! I know that it’s no big deal and once even laughed because I was shaking so much and shouldn’t have been. Who knows why, and someday I hope not to have to take beta blockers when I play harp in public!

    in reply to: Youtube Symphony Audition #110066

    I went back and tried again, it came up this time.

    Both of you did such a great job!

    in reply to: Youtube Symphony Audition #110064

    Lynne,

    Tried to listen to your audition but “it’s no longer available.” What’s up with that?

    Sid

    in reply to: 44 Strings Extended or 46 String Straight? #75015

    I agree with Saul here. Check with the dealer and see what your monthly instalments would be on the different sized instruments. You may be surprised at what you can afford. I started with a Salvi Daphne 40 and within 2 years was needing lower strings for the music I was playing. Luckily, Lyon and Healy has a great turn around program and credited me almost the full cost if my Daphne for an L&H 23. Fifteen years later, I would like to have a smaller harp for some on site rehearsals and giging but it isn’t in my budget. I’m

Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 362 total)