Sid Humphreys

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 362 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: 1st octave gut strings #75109

    Sidney,

    I use Bow Brand Gut in my first octive, and while they tend to break more than the others I’ll tell you that since I restrung in January that 00G has been replaced three time and 1E twice and 1B twice. There is still plenty left before I restring again in January. The harp (L&H 23) is played 3-4 hours daily and leaves the house once -twice a week. This year has been exceptional as far as breakage and tuning go probably due to having a humidifyer in the cold months and dehumidifyer for the summer. Trying to keep the humididty around 50% has helped very much. Hope this helps.

    Sid

    in reply to: Another Harpmobile Question! #75764

    You can also take your dust cover to the dealership and see if it fits with no problem, make note of which vehicles work with this methood before actually bringing your harp to double check the fit. This can eliminate lots of cars and save your back from loading and unloading all day.

    in reply to: Cleaning Harp Strings #75868

    Saul gave a great answer in a previous post, I’ll copy and paste it here:

    Posted by Saul Davis Zlatkovsky on

    You can wipe the wire strings with a cloth or a strong paper towel. The guts and nylons I clean by slightly dampening a cloth or towel with water and a tiny drop of Ivory dishwashing liquid, wiping the strings on both sides, making sure nothing drips onto the harp, and then immediately wiping them with a dry cloth or towel. This removes any accumulated oils. This would only work on coated and nylon strings, and not very often. Wash your hands before playing! You can also put some talc on your palm
    in reply to: Bizet’s “L’Arlesienne” #151858

    I agree with you Saul that this is a major harp part, but really, really listen to a recording of this piece. Do yo hear the harp in that section? I hear it in the first two measures and then if fades out and comes back in. On the front of my music it says “for harp or piano.” That gives me a clue that, like so much of our music, it was written by a pianist who had knowlege of the harp. I could be seriously wrong here. And you encourage me to learn the part as written ( I never thought of playing this as a solo). Still I welcome advice from others who have palyed this!

    Sid

    in reply to: Bizet’s “L’Arlesienne” #151856

    Thank you Rosalind, I have already started the thumb slide as you suggested, and leaving out the D in the 3rd measure as well. I’m going to try the rest of your suggestions. With so many intruments playing in this section I just see no reason why to knock myself out. You are very right that this piece responds well to practice. The tempo is nice and easy.

    Sid

    Jeff,

    there are several pedals you

    in reply to: 40-string pedal harp – is that enough for long term? #75948

    Have you tried a Camac? The upper register on Camacs have more space ( it’s so nice when I play my teachers as my hands have plenty of room on the top octive).

    in reply to: What do you sit upon while playing? #160435

    Hi Sidney,

    I have this problem too with a very exspensive recital bench! It didn’t start doing this until it was about 4 years old, and can be heard when I engage the C, F, and G pedals. I do need to have it recovered as the leather top is a little (ahem) tattered from setting the vacuum cleaner on it. Lesson learned. I’ll try to remember to keep you informed if I can find a way to stop the squeeking. Perhaps the company that recovers the bench can figure it out (they reappolster gym aquiptment so I hope they can help with this too).

    Sid

    Look for the book, Power Performance. It’s helped me a great deal and it deals with “repair points”.

    in reply to: What do the numbers mean? #151954

    Thank you Catherine!

    in reply to: Take me out to the Ballgame–sheet music #160525

    Patricia, I don’t think this is the version in question. Harpo’s version was full of harmonics, glisses, you know., stuff that makes the harp unique!

    in reply to: Your Own Harp for Lessons? #160592

    You know Geri, the difference in light is a big issue. The lights on a stage are bright and make your instrument look so different. Try taking your harp to other rooms in your house to practice and see how you do. I particularly like the kitchen… the ceiling is lower and the lights are

    in reply to: Camac Trianon 47, lyon healy style 23 #75072

    Oshiya,

    I

    in reply to: Do rings get in the way? #109561

    What? Saul, that is a double negative.

    in reply to: harpist on “The Lucy Show” #109628

    There’s already an existing thread on this site concerning this question. Please

Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 362 total)