column

String Popping…a record?

Home Forums Coffee Break String Popping…a record?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    David Ice
    Participant

How many of you have had several strings go on you in a very short period of time?

karen-conoan
    Participant

Yes, I had a similar experience while playing for a garden wedding. There was a tornado watch (meaning conditions are right to produce a tornado).

Misty Harrison
    Participant

Yeah I can remember two or three times when there was unusual weather and I lost five strings over

dawn-penland
    Participant

Maybe we should set up records in categories.

harp guy
    Participant

I once had the same two strings break multiple times over a two week period. But, it turned out that the levers needed adjusting.

bernhard-schmidt
    Participant

If the strings become more damp

tony-morosco

Honestly I haven’t had more than three strings break in

unknown-user
    Participant

I’ve had three break at once during a storm.

andy-b
    Participant

I’ve only ever had one go during a performance; but I did have eight break in the first two weeks with a new harp that was shipped from Chicago to Florida.

Andy

David Ice
    Participant

Hi Andy,

It seems that whenever a string pops for me, it’s either just before or during a performance!

Sid Humphreys
    Spectator

I once had a 1rst oct C pop during a choir concert that I was playing (it wapped me really well on the right cheek). Lucky that there were enough rests to quickly put a new string on before playing a gliss that ended on that note! It was a little flat at that point… (hindsight) should have just used Bsharp but who thinks when they are slapped in the face with a gut string!

andy-b
    Participant

Hi, David,

I’ve been really lucky that way, only having the one go during performance. Of course, when it happens, every eye in the place is immediately focused on you!

David Ice
    Participant

Especially when it’s a big string!

alice-freeman
    Spectator

I had 11 strings break in the first 8 months on a lever harp shipped from California to Wyoming. One of those was on stage just before a performance but the rest were sitting around my house. Then it settled down for a year and just broke 2 strings in the last month as the weather as been changing (much rain and heavy wet snow).

My pedal harp rarely breaks strings, and only once (a 2nd octave B) during a performance on a hot July day. I didn’t need that string and ignored the problem for the rest of that piece. Interestingly the pastor standing on the opposite side of the altar was quite unaware anything had happened while I quietly changed the string during the service.

rod-c
    Participant

David:

My harp teacher plays a lot of weddings. About a year ago, she was playing for a wedding and had a pedal rod break about 5 minutes before the processional. She played the Bridal March an octive higher and said no one seemed to notice.

Question: do harpists ever suffer eye injuries from strings popping? I’ve never heard much of anything about this…so I am assuming eye injuries not common.

Best,

Rod C.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.