harpcolumn

What do you sit upon while playing?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists What do you sit upon while playing?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    karen
    Participant

Just wondering what most of you find to be comfortable to sit on while playing? I currently use a folding chair that is upholstered on the seat and sometimes a small cushion on top of that when I play my lever harp. Seems a good high and allows for good posture but is it ok ergonomically? What do others use at home–not for performances, etc.?

An Adjustrite Chair. They are no longer made. I love mine….have 2 of them.

Briggs

tony-morosco
    Participant

An adjustable height keyboard bench.

barbara-low
    Participant
    Geri McQuillen
    Participant

I used my adjustable piano bench until I had a harp bench custom made by BBR Woodworks.

Sidney Dharmavaram
    Participant

I have the “recital bench” from the harp catalogs.

Jerusha Amado
    Participant

Sidney,

I have the E-Z Folding Adjust Bench from Sylvia Woods.

Sid Humphreys
    Participant

Hi Sidney,

I have this problem too with a very exspensive recital bench! It didn’t start doing this until it was about 4 years old, and can be heard when I engage the C, F, and G pedals. I do need to have it recovered as the leather top is a little (ahem) tattered from setting the vacuum cleaner on it. Lesson learned. I’ll try to remember to keep you informed if I can find a way to stop the squeeking. Perhaps the company that recovers the bench can figure it out (they reappolster gym aquiptment so I hope they can help with this too).

Sid

The bench where I have my lessons (local university) is a nice-looking wooden adjustable harp bench from L&H. It is a wreck, and I think it’s only about 2 years old, if that. It hasn’t gotten that much use either. All squeaky and wobbly, and everytime I sit down on it, I have to tighten the screws. That seems wrong, somehow.

Briggsie

andy-b
    Participant

I use the Easy Adjust Folding Bench, KT216. It has a very thick, sturdy cushion and is very heavy duty. I used to use a drummer’s throne-type stool, but I like this much better. After trying one at Harpjourneys, I had to order one for myself.

Andy

catherine-rogers
    Participant

Squeaks come from something rubbing against something else. The legs may be loose or the adjustment mechanism may need lubricating. Try tightening the screws or bolts that hold the legs to the seat, if possible.
    Many of the upholstered cushions come off if you remove their fastening screws (which may also be loose and squeaking) so that you can recover the cushion with fabric or synthetic “leatherette” or “naugahyde” in the color of your choice.
    With the X-shaped keyboard benches, all you can do is try tightening any screws or bolts except the one where the legs cross. You can also try some grease at that point, but you don’t want to get that on your clothes or hands when you’re moving it, and there’s only so much you can do when it’s metal on metal causing the noise.

Jerusha Amado
    Participant

Briggs,

This is good to know.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

My old salvi adjustable bench had leather washers between the legs and the body of the bench to prevent squeaks. If the squeak is in the legs, those might help yours.

It is pretty expensive, but it doesn’t seem to be very well built.

Jerusha Amado
    Participant

I think that I will look elsewhere.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies