harpcolumn

What do the numbers mean?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Professional Harpists What do the numbers mean?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Sid Humphreys
    Participant

Can someone please tell me what the numbers mean

catherine-rogers
    Participant

This is the orchestration which shows how many of which instruments are needed to perform the piece. The number in parentheses after the title is the duration of the work. For example, the Bizet is 18 minutes long if played at the composer’s indicated tempo, and the movements are 5 minutes, 4 minutes, 4 minutes and 5 minutes in order.

The numbers underneath are the instrumentation. Winds are first. For the Mussorgsky, you have 3 flutes, 3 oboes, 3 clarinets and 3 bassoons.

Next are the brass: 4 (french) horns, 2 trumpets + 2 auxiliary, 3 trombones and 1 tuba.

You have the standard timpani plus 4 extra instruments (check the score to see what those are; could be triangle, gong, bass drum, etc.).

You have harp and the usual strings (violin, viola, cello and bass). At the end it has “percussion to be determined.”

Sid Humphreys
    Participant

Thank you Catherine!

Tacye
    Participant

My understanding is that timp + 4 is a request for one player on timps and then 4 percussionists to hit other things (Perc tbd or perc = sd (standard) here seeming to refer to which instruments are needed- four players can play far more than four instruments in that section).

sherry-lenox
    Participant

I have used the David Daniels v.3 many, many times since purchasing it, and I have just ordered v.4. If you are the sort of person who finds listening enriched by the addition of score reading, it is a perfect companion.

I know David Daniels. I sang under his baton when I won a concerto competition at Oakland University several years ago. It was a pleasant musical experience.

Briggsie

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Professional Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.