Sid Humphreys

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 362 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Pop! #159644

    Did you check the inside soundboard? Possibly a knot pulling throught the eyelette? Or…. perhaps a pedal wasn’t locked in position and it “popped” into flat? That happened to me in a concert (the result of more than four windings of red pedal felt).

    in reply to: Pop! #159638

    I had this happen Kay, try doing a scale up and down the harp. You should notice a string that is really flat. I predict theat it will be a 4th or 5th octive gut. This only happened once and after 3 attempts of pulling the flat string up to pitch, it finally gave out. Also, check the inside of the soundbord, it could be that your ancore knot was partially pulled through the eyelette.

    in reply to: Pet Names #108747

    For 15 years my harp never had a name, or a gender. It’s a black and bronze 23. When my concert master asked why I hadn’t named it I explained that while this harp was graceful, it was also tough. At that point, I pointed out that it was like a woman wearing a tuxedo… he promptly named her Laura Croft!

    in reply to: Finger traction, noise, and dryness…help! #151000

    Too much callus is bad though. Take a nail file and lightly file. You’ll be surprised at the improvement in you tone. Just be careful not to over file, then you’ll be sore!

    in reply to: Finger traction, noise, and dryness…help! #150998

    Dewy,

    This is a problem for me as well. What seems to work is using a buffing block (the kind manicurists use to buff ridges out of the nail bed) across my finger pads. this smooths out the skin and gets rid of the squeeky noise. To test if this is the same problem that I have, run your fingers up and down a smooth

    in reply to: What is your other job (if you have one) besides harping? #108643

    I’ve been a hairdresser for the past 21 years. I usually work 10-6 and practice 7-10 or even 11 sometimes. That leaves early mornings for housework and errands.

    Sid

    in reply to: humidifiers #159677

    I should also add to this post, that living in Dallas Texas, our temperature varies ALOT in the winter. Last week we had lows in the 20’s with highs in the 30’s. Today is moderately cool but tomorrow will be in the 70’s. I didn’t have my humidifier on the first night it became cold and the humidity in my house went from 46% that evening to 28% the next morning. My humidifier will automatically kick off when it reaches a certain level of humidity so I don’t have to worry about getting to damp in the room.

    Liam, I’m glad you found an inexpensive way to solve your arid problem, but I don’t think my insurance company would be very sympathetic if the damp sponge didn’t work. No offence please, but after spending tens of thousands on a pedal harp (even

    in reply to: humidifiers #159676

    Really the best thing I ever did for my harp was purchase a

    in reply to: Focus when performing #151107

    I recomend reading Power Performance.

    in reply to: 1st octave gut strings #75115

    Saul, I pointed out to you before, stop lableling gut in top octives as dull! I think they sound rich. And I could accuse you of being cheap for using nylon and they sound tinny

    in reply to: THe Perfect Harp Car #145297

    Well, to answer my own question; yes. A 23 fits nicely in a Ford Edge. My new harpmobile will be delivered tomorrow!

    in reply to: THe Perfect Harp Car #145296

    Today I looked at a Ford Edge. After pulling the drivers seat forward my harp cover (L&H 23 with cronw) fit in with no problem. There is a slight tilt where the back seats are, is this a problem? Does anybody have this SUV and use a concert grand? Need to buy a new car in the next week or so!

    Sid Humphreys

    in reply to: Mozart flute and harp concerto #147892

    Carl,

    I had learned that at one time the harp was played with 5 fingers instead of four, and all harpsicord players were expected to play harp as well. I’ll do some research in this as I don’t recall

    in reply to: Private Party 4 hrs HELP! #151183

    Kay,

    Palying for such a long time can be hard on the radials and ulna. Extend your arms straight out in forn of you. Now make a fist and slowly curl your wrist downward as far as you can and hold it for 20 seconds. This will “untie” some bound up muscles in the forearm that you can get form prolonged playing.

    Sid

    in reply to: Blue harp in orchestra? #151241

    Barbara, this is for the audience. I used poor gramar, pardon me.

Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 362 total)