harpcolumn

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    kay-lister

Last night I sat down to play after 2 days of not touching the harp (too busy – ugh!).

carl-swanson
    Participant

Kay- Check each of your wire strings. When they break, it’s usually just the inner core that breaks and the outer windings stay intact. So it looks OK but is as loose as a rubber band. If its not that then we’ll have to hunt for something else.

kay-lister

Thanks Carl,

You can see wear start to happen on your gut strings though I’m thinking if you heard a pop something would already be broken.

Jennifer

Sid Humphreys
    Participant

I had this happen Kay, try doing a scale up and down the harp. You should notice a string that is really flat. I predict theat it will be a 4th or 5th octive gut. This only happened once and after 3 attempts of pulling the flat string up to pitch, it finally gave out. Also, check the inside of the soundbord, it could be that your ancore knot was partially pulled through the eyelette.

kay-lister

Thanks Sid, I’ll check it out.

Kay, another possibility for that sound might be that a segment of wound string on a tuning pin was too near the edge, and suddenly slipped off. In such a case, that string would now be too flat in pitch, and would need to be brought up to pitch.

dawn-penland
    Participant

I had a string partially break down by the

kay-lister

OK – I have checked everything and all seems fine.

kay-lister

Hi All,

Any more suggestions?

Sid Humphreys
    Participant

Did you check the inside soundboard? Possibly a knot pulling throught the eyelette? Or…. perhaps a pedal wasn’t locked in position and it “popped” into flat? That happened to me in a concert (the result of more than four windings of red pedal felt).

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies