harpcolumn

Private Party 4 hrs HELP!

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Professional Harpists Private Party 4 hrs HELP!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    kay-lister

I am scheduled to play a private party (was 3 hrs now extended to 4) this coming Sunday.

richard-hagan
    Participant

Kay —

This is from a reply that I posted from someone asking specifically for exercises for the feet.

Check out yogadownloads.com.

I see some great suggestions here already, and I would also suggest a really good long soak in epsom salts afterwards. When I was doing organ repair work and ended up on some really awkward positions (suspended in seemingly mid air for hours) for long periods of times, the epsom soak always helped me for the next day.

Briggsie

alice-freeman
    Spectator

Try to stay as hydrated as possible. Bring your own fluids (don’t rely on the venue to provide them) and include energy drinks if you tolerate them. Always stand while drinking and bend and stretch as described by others.

— Alice in windy Wyoming

Sid Humphreys
    Participant

Kay,

Palying for such a long time can be hard on the radials and ulna. Extend your arms straight out in forn of you. Now make a fist and slowly curl your wrist downward as far as you can and hold it for 20 seconds. This will “untie” some bound up muscles in the forearm that you can get form prolonged playing.

Sid

mr-s

Hi Kay, i do play every day for 3 hours, used for that , but did only one private party like the party you are talking about, me and the harp were drived by the car for 5 hours to get to the villa where to play, then played 4 hours , then back 5 hours, dont think

unknown-user
    Participant

also – remember to move your head around every now and then –

kay-lister

Thanks to all for your advice!

barbara-low
    Participant

I’d recommend three 20 minute breaks for 4 hours, but definitely not just 10 minutes. If it’s 3 hours, then keeping your breaks to 15 would be reasonable. You have to protect your body so you can continue to play for a long, long time.

HBrock25
    Keymaster

Hi Kay!

I stretch up as some have suggested, do shoulder shrugs, bend at the waist and touch the floor without bending my knees and from an outstretched postition, I try to slowly clap my hands behind my back.

I sometimes take ibuprofen either the last hour or before I go to bed.

janelle-lake
    Participant

When I play those six-hour-long gigs at the Drake Hotel for tea during the holiday season, I always pack a lunch, water, a book, breath mints, oil blotting sheets (I sweat up a storm because I’m working!)

kay-lister

Hi All,

Well, it went very well!

Brandee Younger
    Participant

I know I’m LATE but…those cushions for your bottom work miracles, too :-)

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The forum ‘Professional Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.