Private Party 4 hrs HELP!

kay-lister on #151178

I am scheduled to play a private party (was 3 hrs now extended to 4) this coming Sunday.

Participant
    richard-hagan on #151179

Kay —

This is from a reply that I posted from someone asking specifically for exercises for the feet.

jennifer-buehler on #151180

Check out yogadownloads.com.

Participant
    Briggsie B. Peawiggle on #151181

I see some great suggestions here already, and I would also suggest a really good long soak in epsom salts afterwards. When I was doing organ repair work and ended up on some really awkward positions (suspended in seemingly mid air for hours) for long periods of times, the epsom soak always helped me for the next day.

Briggsie

Spectator
    alice-freeman on #151182

Try to stay as hydrated as possible. Bring your own fluids (don’t rely on the venue to provide them) and include energy drinks if you tolerate them. Always stand while drinking and bend and stretch as described by others.

— Alice in windy Wyoming

Spectator
    Sid Humphreys on #151183

Kay,

Palying for such a long time can be hard on the radials and ulna. Extend your arms straight out in forn of you. Now make a fist and slowly curl your wrist downward as far as you can and hold it for 20 seconds. This will “untie” some bound up muscles in the forearm that you can get form prolonged playing.

Sid

mr-s on #151184

Hi Kay, i do play every day for 3 hours, used for that , but did only one private party like the party you are talking about, me and the harp were drived by the car for 5 hours to get to the villa where to play, then played 4 hours , then back 5 hours, dont think

Participant
    unknown-user on #151185

also – remember to move your head around every now and then –

kay-lister on #151186

Thanks to all for your advice!

Participant
    barbara-low on #151187

I’d recommend three 20 minute breaks for 4 hours, but definitely not just 10 minutes. If it’s 3 hours, then keeping your breaks to 15 would be reasonable. You have to protect your body so you can continue to play for a long, long time.

Keymaster
    HBrock25 on #151188

Hi Kay!

I stretch up as some have suggested, do shoulder shrugs, bend at the waist and touch the floor without bending my knees and from an outstretched postition, I try to slowly clap my hands behind my back.

I sometimes take ibuprofen either the last hour or before I go to bed.

Participant
    janelle-lake on #151189

When I play those six-hour-long gigs at the Drake Hotel for tea during the holiday season, I always pack a lunch, water, a book, breath mints, oil blotting sheets (I sweat up a storm because I’m working!)

kay-lister on #151190

Hi All,

Well, it went very well!

Participant
    Brandee Younger on #151191

I know I’m LATE but…those cushions for your bottom work miracles, too :-)

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The forum ‘Professional Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.