Sid Humphreys

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 362 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Is “Amazing Grace” appropriate for a Christening? #150799

    Thank you Susan, that was beautifully put in to words! It will forever change how I listen to this Hymn!

    in reply to: Is “Amazing Grace” appropriate for a Christening? #150797

    It’s amazing where this piece can pop up, I heard it sung at a wedding! For me, it’s always been a funeral song.

    in reply to: Harmonics #159443

    It depends on where and how you place the mark Carl. If you make a mark all the way around the string then yes, some of it will come off on your thumb. The white strings are translucent so it works better to put the mark where the hands will not come in contact with them. It’s really only neccesary to mark somewhere around the left side of the harp though as you won’t be looking for the mark on the right side.

    in reply to: Search function #108612

    It seems the search function was conciderably slowing the site down. Go to google and put in your subject that you wish to search followed by a comma and the word, harpcolumn.

    in reply to: syllables for counting #84143

    Rosalind.

    in reply to: syllables for counting #84856

    Rosalind.

    in reply to: syllables for counting #85366

    Rosalind.

    in reply to: Overplaying the instrument… #150770

    She played several pieces Carl, all of them were modern. She did do an encore which was a “chinese” piece that she wrote, it’s in one of her books. It was a great concert but I can’t tell the names of any of pieces, sorry. I do remember that she wove rice paper throughout the strings and as they weren’t needed she (very ballet like) pulled each piece of paper out and let them float to the floor. Lots of modern Salzedo technique. With the exception of amplification, Saul would have been pleased! lol (Sorry Saul, I couldn’t resist that one);-)

    Sid

    in reply to: Overplaying the instrument… #150767

    Yes, Carl. Yolanda played as as soloist with the orchestra behind her. But her speakers were up front on either side of the harp, not discretely placed as you would expect. When I’ve had to, I place a small speaker behind and under my bench, and it’s not turned way up. Just a little amp to bring the sound out with out having to overplay.

    in reply to: Overplaying the instrument… #150763

    When I saw Yolanda Kondonasis perform with the symphony, she had her Salzedo harp amplifed, I believe she did that through out her tour.

    in reply to: Overplaying the instrument… #150757

    Well Saul that’s your opinion.

    in reply to: Overplaying the instrument… #150742

    I agree Jessica,

    I’ve shown my conductore how much sound can come from the harp. One flute can out-produce that sound. So we’ve agreed that when the harp has an important part (to be heard) that it will be amplified.

    in reply to: Harmonics #159437

    I do that with a Sharpie, it stays longer… you only have to mark on the left side of the string, that way your eye can spot exactly where to go. Fir the strings where both hands play harmonics I mark the right hand with blue sharpie.

    Sandra,

    As a fellow Texan I should point out to you that the humidity will change as the use of your heater and AC change. When you run the heater during a cold front the humidity level

    in reply to: played outside in 55 degree TX weather:–cracks in the finish? #74994

    Carl Swanson, where are you with a possible answer?

Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 362 total)