Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
sherry-lenox
ParticipantTrifocals since I was a little kid. Thick as coke bottles. Can’t wear the no-lines kind, but my hubby does and loves them. I am OK with reading as I play as long as I can put my music exactly at the right spot. I’d just love one of those clamp-on music holders because they look so nice, but it would be too far away. Also need huge lights around me. As long as I’m fairly close to the strings I can see them but I’m still working gradually to get used to the double strung.
It was terrible to have a stand partner when I was playing viola because I always had to have the stand adjusted for ME. I finally started to sit last in the viola section so I could be by myself.
sherry-lenox
ParticipantHow sad that Lionwood had to give up making harps. I’ve never heard a single negative or even neutral comment about them. There should be enough buyers for all excellent harp makers. Yours is beautiful!
sherry-lenox
ParticipantOT- Don’t know if anyone gets animal channel or not. There was a show about some naturalists who raise orphaned Devil pups, and they ARE cute until they learn to bite!
sherry-lenox
ParticipantMy mother was an amazing woman, fiercely independent, an excellent manager, meticulous house keeper, great cook, the list goes on and on and on. My father was a clever craftsman who could do anything with making or fixing something that had to be done anywhere. Between them they saved a good bit of change. Most of it went to her care, and the last 5 years she was totally dependent on me, a role she despised, but came to tolerate.
She was always given to paying her debts, so when she died leaving a small amount to me, I had enough to buy a really fine harp. I have actually purchased 3 really fine harps, but in a year or maybe two, I will buy THE harp. It will have to have 32-34 strings and be embellished with a carved rose to honor their memory.
sherry-lenox
Participant……and I have a birthday gift certificate that will go right to that recording! Thank you for reminding me Barbara!
sherry-lenox
ParticipantAND, if you are on the fence, there is some wonderful contemporary music written for lever harp, and approaching some of that work is my goal. Unfortunately I was not able to hear Laura Zaerr’s new piece at Somerset, but my teacher did look at one of her (LZ) books for me, and said she thought I would be able to start some of the pieces in about a year.
So no one should ever be ashamed to feel one way or another, or to stay on the fence. It’s all good.
sherry-lenox
ParticipantA little OT but I was standing next to the Rees display at Somerset when some poor person had the bad luck to knock down a whole row of Harp-Sharpsicles that were on stands, looking very pretty all in a row of different colors.
She helped put them back up and they were all just fine. Pretty tough little instruments. Definitely need good protection to go into a luggage hold though.
sherry-lenox
ParticipantThanks Elizabeth- Also an excellent way to practice. Quite naturally I think, slow timed glissing is much harder than just starting somewhere and letting rip, so this gives more structure. My teacher said I was doing fine when she heard the piece at my lesson, but she wanted to be sure that I was observing duration and beat.
sherry-lenox
ParticipantI was wary of trying a double strung lever for this reason so I’m taking it slow with trying to keep my eyes open while I play it.
I just realized in reading these posts that the problem is changing focus from the music to the strings, isn’t it? In order to read my music I have to keep it right under my nose anyway so that helps me a little. When I play viola it’s very difficult for me to be a stand partner, except of course for the fact that it’s then the conductor and the music, not looking at the viola.
I had bought stick on magnifying lenses but they didn’t work for me either, so I have returned to my childhood propensity to memorize everything. I guess this precludes learning highly technical music but maybe I’ll be able to wear contacts by then.
sherry-lenox
ParticipantSorry, I meant in the display room.
sherry-lenox
ParticipantWas that the harp that the young lady was playing in the back left? It was lovely! I thought it had very nice tone.
sherry-lenox
ParticipantAs a teacher there isn’t a nicer thing than a heartfelt note expressing your appreciation for her efforts.
A gift certificate in any denomination is a thoughtful gift. I always remember what I’ve bought with student gift certificates.
sherry-lenox
ParticipantI certainly do appreciate all the comments my question has received. I have found that at my typical snail tempo when learning a piece that I can now play the glissando both ways.
It’s terrific to have inputs from people for whom I have a great deal of respect. Thanks so much!
sherry-lenox
ParticipantI LOVE play-on-words jokes!
sherry-lenox
ParticipantMy son gave me the CD of “Rudy” for Mother’s Day, and the first note on the disc is played by a harp, accompanying the Rudy theme played on flute. Lovely!
-
AuthorPosts