sherry-lenox

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 661 through 675 (of 747 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: GOOD AND BAD TEACHERS #83952
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    My teacher was a miracle find for me. She was trained in Salzedo from the age of 12, then sent to France in her late teens and trained with one of the well known Grandjany teachers, I’ve forgotten the name.

    I will continue with her for a good long time, but she firmly and pleasantly regards lever harp as useful only as a step-up to “real” harp. At some point I will want to study with a Celtic harpest or a really solid lever harpist.

    For me, she is the best I could ever have hoped for, but I know that if I live long enough, I will need additional instruction from someone else. So, the best and not quite so much the best in one person!

    in reply to: GOOD AND BAD TEACHERS #84665
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    My teacher was a miracle find for me. She was trained in Salzedo from the age of 12, then sent to France in her late teens and trained with one of the well known Grandjany teachers, I’ve forgotten the name.

    I will continue with her for a good long time, but she firmly and pleasantly regards lever harp as useful only as a step-up to “real” harp. At some point I will want to study with a Celtic harpest or a really solid lever harpist.

    For me, she is the best I could ever have hoped for, but I know that if I live long enough, I will need additional instruction from someone else. So, the best and not quite so much the best in one person!

    in reply to: GOOD AND BAD TEACHERS #85175
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    My teacher was a miracle find for me. She was trained in Salzedo from the age of 12, then sent to France in her late teens and trained with one of the well known Grandjany teachers, I’ve forgotten the name.

    I will continue with her for a good long time, but she firmly and pleasantly regards lever harp as useful only as a step-up to “real” harp. At some point I will want to study with a Celtic harpest or a really solid lever harpist.

    For me, she is the best I could ever have hoped for, but I know that if I live long enough, I will need additional instruction from someone else. So, the best and not quite so much the best in one person!

    in reply to: Hearing problems #162538
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    I didn’t mean to make a misleading statement- I was specifically referring to the loss of pitch and

    in reply to: Hearing problems #162536
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Mike, if there is “some” positive change you may find that you will be able to continue to make slow solid progress. Most of the more serious cases of this fortunately rare phenomenon are quick and permanent.

    I think the harp is a perfect vehicle for your retraining because of the tonal characteristics of the sound. This is a horrid thing to have happen. I had a similar experience several years ago that teetered back and forth between inner ear and meningitis, but fortunately my pitch discrim returned as soon as the infection was cleared.

    Keep us up to date with your progress, please!

    in reply to: Encounters with Famous people #103031
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Two GREAT STORIES! Mine isn’t about a musician- I was walking on the sidewalk in a local town and passed Don Newcombe going in the other direction. If you don’t know who he is, please ask someone else. I feel old enough already.

    in reply to: Playing the Harp in Movies #111196
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    I just spent about 20 minutes with google and can’t find any reference other than “two children” of

    in reply to: Carbon Fiber Concert Harps….Please soon! #68400
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    I wonder if the developer of the Luis and Clark instruments was familiar with Mr. Thompson’s sailing hobby. He developed the body of the Luis and Clark cello after studying the fiberglas sailboat.

    So really, there is a more substantial body of history here than I for one had realized. I think it’s time for some qualified maker to give it a try, whether lever or pedal.

    As another interesting sidebar (NOT OT), Luis Leguia has often said that if a musician is willing to play one of the instruments the opinion expressed will have merit, but someone who rejects the idea on tradition alone is not in a position to speak positively or negatively. (broadly paraphrased).

    in reply to: Playing the Harp in Movies #111191
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    That’s it! I’m such a pro at all this electronic stuff. Would someone pass me the candle snuffer please?

    in reply to: Playing the Harp in Movies #111190
    sherry-lenox
    Participant
    in reply to: Playing the Harp in Movies #111187
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    http://www.brokenwheelranch.com/anitalouise for the reference to Loretta Young! I think you may have to cut/paste the url.

    in reply to: Playing the Harp in Movies #111185
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    I just googled her, because I always loved her. She did play the mother in the ’50’s series based on the book “My Friend Flicka”, and her first marriage was to Buddy Adler, by whose death she became widowed.

    She retired quite young following a second marriage, and died in 1970. I just loved her when I was a little kid. She was SO pretty.

    Interestingly, she served as an occasional substitute for Loretta Young, whom she resembled slightly.

    in reply to: Playing the Harp in Movies #111183
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    I believe she played the mother in the ’50’s series based on “My Friend Flicka”.

    in reply to: Eyes changing #164281
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    I hope that works better for you than it did for me Saul. It seems as though neither the opthalmologist nor I could come up with anything that really worked for the middle distance.

    Also, if I try to use single strength glasses and change for each distance I seem to get more frustrated by having to switch them than I do about not being able to see with them.

    in reply to: bad habits #87524
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Unfortunately my teacher refuses to acknowledge my “quirks”, such as letting my thumbs droop to my knees when concentrating on where the &(*Y***$(($## that high G is, as charming.

Viewing 15 posts - 661 through 675 (of 747 total)