harpcolumn

Curious Question: Looking thru Your Strings

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists Curious Question: Looking thru Your Strings

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    rod-c
    Participant

I found it interesting to hear Kay mention having a guest, in a print dress, stand next to

unknown-user
    Participant

Yes indeed – I have an eye imbalance where

rod-c
    Participant

John: Your reading glasses solution sounds right on target. I think I will try that.

Cheers,

Rod C.

sherry-lenox
    Participant

I was wary of trying a double strung lever for this reason so I’m taking it slow with trying to keep my eyes open while I play it.

I just realized in reading these posts that the problem is changing focus from the music to the strings, isn’t it? In order to read my music I have to keep it right under my nose anyway so that helps me a little. When I play viola it’s very difficult for me to be a stand partner, except of course for the fact that it’s then the conductor and the music, not looking at the viola.

I had bought stick on magnifying lenses but they didn’t work for me either, so I have returned to my childhood propensity to memorize everything. I guess this precludes learning highly technical music but maybe I’ll be able to wear contacts by then.

tony-morosco
    Participant

I definitely have this problem if I am playing on a rug that has too busy a pattern.

Also the one time I tried to play a triple strung harp I nearly fell out of my chair it made me so dizzy.

darth-mom
    Participant

Rod –
    I had this problem, too.

rod-c
    Participant

I asked my harp teacher, who is

unknown-user
    Participant

I used to practice my harp while

I realized I had this problem at my first gig, what a shock!

Diane Patenaude
    Participant

Bringing your own background is a great solution – until last weekend at a wedding, the only place for the harp was beside the guests sitting down in the “audience”.

Audrey Nickel
    Participant

I actually first noticed this problem when I GOT wood floors (well, bamboo, but it’s figured like wood).

carl-swanson
    Participant

I can think of only one time that the background really threw me. It was about 10 years ago when I was giving a solo recital for the Connecticut chapter of the AHS. It was in a church meeting hall and the rug was a vibrant green with HUGE red roses all over it. Holy Christmas did that throw me. I managed to find a solid color blanket to place on the floor area that I would be looking at through the strings and that took care of it.

David Ice
    Participant

I honestly don’t remember who said it, but she said “all it takes is one moving plaid in the first violin section and you’re toast.”

unknown-user
    Participant

One of my very first jobs many many years ago was a very crowded cocktail party with me jammed in and people almost on top of me – a lady in a light beige dress with red and black horizontal strips came and stood with her buns about 18 inches from the strings on my right – not only that, but she moved side to side as she chatted so my strings disappeared completely and I got slightly seasick – took her a good 20 minutes to wend her way out of my visual path.

unknown-user
    Participant

I’m so glad you brought this up!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies