harpcolumn

Moving from lever to pedal harp…

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists Moving from lever to pedal harp…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Rebecca Frager
    Participant

I’ve been playing harp for about 4 years.

sherry-lenox
    Participant

I’m doing Pozzoli book 2 (the first book, printed with Grossi is Book 1, the intermediate book is published under its own cover), and the second book of Bochsa 50 Progressive Lessons for the Harp, and for me, they contain great confidence builders. What has your teacher recommended?

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Some pieces that I like for students transitioning at your level, because the notes are easy and you’re free to concentrate on getting your feet going:

Dance of the Little Fishes (Dewey Owens, from Impressions on Pedal Patterns for Young Harpists)

Song at Night and Ebbing Tide by Lucien Thomson

All these were written specifically to teach pedals. For instance, Song at Night is meant to teach you the pedals on the left side of the harp, while Fishes is a study in moving the F pedal to all three positions while you play.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Should have stressed that these are very much beginner level pieces as far as what your hands do, but they do the job in short order.

Dewey Owens has a nice book of pieces in twelve different pedal settings, but they have no pedal changes. Le Bon Petit Roi d’Yvetot by Grandjany is a good one because you get to use enharmonics. The Lawrence/Salzedo Method is excellent because the Preludes gradually introduce the use of pedals until one is very proficient.

Rebecca Frager
    Participant

I have purchased the 1st book of Bochsa’s 50 Etudes, and she has me starting Two Guitars by McDonald and Wood in Volume 4 of Graded Harp Solos.

Rebecca Frager
    Participant

Barbara,

I don’t mind at all working on some ‘beginner” level pieces as long as they are now for the pedal.

Rebecca Frager
    Participant

I’m going to check these out…Might be just what I am looking for.

Thanks!

Rebecca Frager
    Participant

My Chicago arrived today.

sherry-lenox
    Participant

Congrats Rebecca- Volume 1 of the Bochsa doesn’t have any pedal changes, but Volume 2 has lots of them.
    Just wanted you to be aware!
    Hope you’re enjoying the new harp!

Rebecca Frager
    Participant

Sherry,

My first piece in Bochsa has a pedal change!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.