Saul Davis Zlatkovski

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 976 through 990 (of 2,806 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Copyright license? #147088

    You need not worry about this. The restaurant/venue should have a license from ASCAP and BMI, each, to have live

    in reply to: Grandjany Fantaisie Sur un Theme de Haydn #156775

    I never noticed any specific styles, other than a general romanticic approach.

    in reply to: Switching to Bow Brand #147102

    I want to point out that, though I had some bad strings before, I am quite happy with the quality of Bow Brand burgundy strings that I have recently used.

    in reply to: Double jointed! #103126

    No, you don’t need therapy. Squeeze a small rubber ball when not playing to build your strength. Push your knuckles against the lower string, g if you’re playing a, and that will make them curve. It’s simply a matter of strengthening.

    in reply to: Who is playing in this video? #104973

    It’s obviously an actress faking it. I don’t know who the real harpist is. Many students of Salzedo’s and Grandjany’s were active in those days. Pearl Chertok played for the CBS orchestra, as I recall, and Lucile Lawrence did ABC, I think, as well as the Firestone show. It was lucrative work.

    in reply to: “The Fantasticks” #146869

    It is quite tricky, especially the fingering, so do get a part from someone who has played it before, only there is the old version and the new one, and I haven’t seen the new one!

    in reply to: eyelets #71023

    The only difference is in some kind of immediacy in the sound, which is not necessarily desirable. However, Lucile Lawrence was quite happy with the 85s. The brass may be adding a bit of metallic brightness, which is not so desirable, maybe. The main contact is with the wood, anyway, and the plastic is more durable.

    in reply to: What digital recorder? #70918

    A cassette recorder is by far the simplest and easiest thing to use.

    in reply to: Strings are turning colors? #71010

    Stop eating cheet-os before you practice!

    They might be changing due to light exposure. Change them again. Many nylons are not so good after just 6 months.

    in reply to: Which sound do you prefer? #70838

    Don’t pull! Press through the string. I know you don’t mean actual pulling, which twangs the string and is ugly.

    The best harps recently made at LH, to me, were the ones that were even and open, resonant and full bodied. Most of them were more buzzy overtoned, intimate and sort of nasal, a more French sound, you might say. I would get the largest harp you can, whichever model.

    I prefer the plastic eyelets, if you can’t have ivory, there is something quite different with the brass that makes me uncomfortable, but if you are used to it, perhaps it is better, as the sound seems to come out more immediately. The 85s tend to be a little heavier sounding, to my ears.

    in reply to: Anyone ever hear of or participate with . . . #104976

    They don’t have a harp program, darn it.

    in reply to: BEST TEACHER #104995

    Her master class at the Harp Festival of Philadelphia was excellent!

    in reply to: 2011 Harp Cars #104070

    I saw someone driving a Ford Flex and got very excited. At last, a real station wagon!

    in reply to: 2011 Harp Cars #104069

    Actually, that’s not true about the Prius, according to experience.

    in reply to: So why are black strings blue ? !! #104986

    Some strings are black but fade to blue.

Viewing 15 posts - 976 through 990 (of 2,806 total)