harpcolumn

Which sound do you prefer?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Which sound do you prefer?

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Maria Myers
    Participant

Sam,

Does closing and pulling well result in a warm or bright tone?

Maria

kay-lister

Maria,

Pulling and closing well will produce the BEST sound that the harp would have.

Don’t pull! Press through the string. I know you don’t mean actual pulling, which twangs the string and is ugly.

The best harps recently made at LH, to me, were the ones that were even and open, resonant and full bodied. Most of them were more buzzy overtoned, intimate and sort of nasal, a more French sound, you might say. I would get the largest harp you can, whichever model.

I prefer the plastic eyelets, if you can’t have ivory, there is something quite different with the brass that makes me uncomfortable, but if you are used to it, perhaps it is better, as the sound seems to come out more immediately. The 85s tend to be a little heavier sounding, to my ears.

Dot Pecson
    Participant

Different sounds for different folks.

Some like the bright sound of a Triplett; others want a gentle tone of a smaller harp. It’s very much a matter of personal choice.

I’ve helped small-scale harp builders sell harps for quite a few years. I always take the future-player aside and tell him/her to play every harp before deciding which one appeals the most.

The harp is an instrument that has a way of living in your soul. You need to choose the one that resonates closest in your heart and soul.

Then go forth and charm the world!

Dot

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies