harpcolumn

Strings are turning colors?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Strings are turning colors?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Rachel Redman
    Participant

Almost all of my white nylon strings from Vanderbilt are starting to turn a strange shade of yellow. Now, I know that I’ve changed them within the past year, and some of them have been changed six months ago or less. Anyone know what the problem is?

Stop eating cheet-os before you practice!

They might be changing due to light exposure. Change them again. Many nylons are not so good after just 6 months.

Rachel Redman
    Participant

Very funny.

Seriously though, I keep a dust cover on the harp any time I’m not playing it; would light exposure really turn them colors that easily?

Rachel Redman
    Participant

Also, what would your recommendation be for a better nylon string? Maybe the Vanderbilt strings are just fine and I happened to get a dud…or a lot of duds? Hmm.

Tacye
    Participant

Do they sound fine?

unknown-user
    Participant

I had one gut string which faded to a yellow-ish color on my pedal harp. Only a few weeks later it broke. I had no idea why and it was only one string, now that it’s been replaced it hasn’t happened again.

Perhaps ordering another set of strings? But as Tayce said below, if the sound is good does it matter? I have no idea what would cause the strings to yellow, in my case my harp is also completely away from the sun and none of the other strings changed so I don’t think it could be light exposure! I hope you find a solution!

— Natalie

Rachel Redman
    Participant

Tayce, from what I can tell they do sound fine. It isn’t really a big deal; the only reason I asked was to make sure there were no problems and that I was taking good enough care of them. At the rate my Troub eats strings…

Thanks for your helpful advice, Tayce, Saul and Natalie! I really appreciate the advice and feedback.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies