Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
Saul Davis Zlatkovski
ParticipantWell, it goes without saying, if you don’t spend any time practicing, you can spend all that time promoting yourself.
Saul Davis Zlatkovski
ParticipantAnd it sends them a message, too, to trim their nails!
Saul Davis Zlatkovski
ParticipantYes, I know, it is contradictory, but it is how I was taught to string, and I make them sound as unplasticky as I can. If I could afford gut strings and could find ones with as clear and liquid harmonics, I would use them. Are Concedos different in tone quality? But, then, plastics are natural, in that they are made of petroleum products.
Saul Davis Zlatkovski
ParticipantA Byrd in the hand is worth about one page of Purcell. It is very tricky to transcribe this music. Some of it works well, a lot is far too dense with counterpoint and moving bass lines. The technique of composing is called division, which means taking slow themes and putting twice as many notes between them. The most fun pieces are ones like My Ladey Hunsdowne’s Dump.
Saul Davis Zlatkovski
ParticipantI am willing to host such a “harmonic convergence”. I think Hugh Brock could clear this up by tracing the poster’s computer address.
Saul Davis Zlatkovski
ParticipantWhereever they come from, they are a type of plastic, all right. My friend’s husband works in that field. And plastics give off fumes when fresh.
Saul Davis Zlatkovski
ParticipantI suspect a guy who is really into harps and how they are made, who rarely posts here, but wanted to be able to dump off his gossip overload. Still a mystery.
Saul Davis Zlatkovski
ParticipantYour photo on the home page is a bit dark, it is a little hard to see you, can you lighten the contrast?
Saul Davis Zlatkovski
ParticipantIt is very likely in that book.
Saul Davis Zlatkovski
ParticipantP.S., I have sketched out transcriptions of quite a few of them, if you are willing to wait for them. Grandjany also published a small number of them. I do not recommend the King’s Hunt, though, I do not think it works well at all for harp.
Saul Davis Zlatkovski
ParticipantYes, Byrd can be played on the harp, and other composers of that period. David Watkins published a collection, the first in his four-volume series. You can do one better and get the Dover editions of the Fitzwilliam Virginal Book, two volumes, with hundreds of pieces, and you can work out the ornamentation yourself, which of course, only begins ON the beat. Ornaments nearly always take their value from the following note.
Saul Davis Zlatkovski
ParticipantI’m sorry to hear of it. Sounds like you have a wonderful arrangement, and I can’t wait to visit.
Saul Davis Zlatkovski
ParticipantHow much do you want for it, David?
Saul Davis Zlatkovski
ParticipantYou never said what do it smell like? Fish, horsehide, fungus, what?
Saul Davis Zlatkovski
ParticipantSomna M. Bulist is fabulous http://www.somna.net
-
AuthorPosts