harpcolumn

Carbon Fiber Concert Harps….Please soon!

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Carbon Fiber Concert Harps….Please soon!

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 109 total)
  • Author
    J P
    Participant

I don’t believe Rosemary ever said Venus outright. She may have beat around the bush but she never came out and said it. I didn’t suggest banning Denise for good but a temporary ban. It puts people in their place. Would you like your personal business of finances and such for all to see on a public forum? Most likely not.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Well as far as carbon fiber goes, I’m a hidebound old traditionalist, but even I can see that the day is fast approaching when synthetic materials are going to be the only real option for musical instruments.

America’s current lust for fancy kitchen cabinets is rapidly depleting our last stands of old growth maple and other woods are also disappearing. Managed wood is not the same, as any woodworker can tell you. So I guess we should all salute the forward looking folks who are out there already investigating the alternatives.

unknown-user
    Participant

Laurie,

Denise shut June down by saying “end of discussion” rather than answering her legitimate question, which remains unanswered.

A final request to please stay on topic. Any further posts that stray too far off topic will be removed.

Thanks, Kim

Christian Frederick
    Participant

Since I’m the poor sucker that started this thread, I’d like to move that we move on and end this now.

Is there someone that can second this motion?

All those in favor say aye.

Meeting ajourned.

Amen.

PS… Thank you Kim for all you do for the harp world. Thanks and love being sent your way!

Walter Pfeil had titanium tuning pegs cast for his harp, I think they would not corrode. But what exactly is it that salt air is supposed to do to a harp? I have never seen any example of this damage. Not at Camden, nor anywhere else. I lived for ten years overlooking the salty Hudson River and it did nothing to my harp. The car fumes might have, but not the salt air I miss so much.

As for the off-topic discussions, that should have remained in another thread, I know much more than I have ever let on, let it rest at that.

As for the word plastic, it is commonly used to describe all synthetics as opposed to natural products. So I will use it in a general way to describe kevlar. Now, perhaps they can make a harp out of the plastics made from corn.

We must then protect a forest to be used only for harp-making, not give in to synthetics, which usually cost more environmentally in the long run.

tony-morosco
    Participant

“I lived for ten years overlooking the salty Hudson River and it did nothing to my harp.”

Although I don’t have a pedal harp currently my lever harp has shown no problems with the bridge or tuning pins or rivets on the levers, or any other metal on it and I have lived on a peninsula surrounded by salt water on three sides for almost 14 years. I can see the water from my window. Also I know several pedal harpists in town and none of them seem to have any problems with living near the ocean.

“We must then protect a forest to be used only for harp-making, not give in to synthetics, which usually cost more environmentally in the long run.”

That’s probably one of the best arguments for using wood I have heard. Wood is renewable, and currently the US has more trees than when the country was founded (saw that on Penn and Teller’s show when they did the episodes on environmentalism and recycling).

I’m all for using anything that works so long it doesn’t cause harm. I have no opposition to using any material so long as it actually sounds and looks good. That being said I don’t think I want to be a guinea pig for something. Carbon in the column I can deal with. In the soundboard? I will wait and see, but I wont write it off just yet either.

Perhaps a good outdoor harp for you would be a Thormahlen Serenade.

Evangeline Williams
    Participant

I am curious.

phyllis-adams
    Participant

I have a Venus Diplomat harp that has a carbon grafite soundboard that I might be interested in selling, but only if the price is right. It makes a WONDERFUL recording harp as it has a very clear, clean tone – which sound engineers like because it makes their job easier. It is an ebony harp with silver highlights in the column flutings and has vertical “racing stripes” on the soundboard – a very striking looking instrument! Another perk is that because the board has not pulled up, I rarely need to get it regulated. Let me know if you are interested. I live in Evanston, IL (Chicago suburb). PhyllisAdams@aol.com

Whereever they come from, they are a type of plastic, all right. My friend’s husband works in that field. And plastics give off fumes when fresh.

Tacye
    Participant

But Saul, you like Nylon strings, and they are certainly plastic…

Christian Frederick
    Participant

Hi Phyllis,

Thanks, but I’m not in the market now for another harp. I’m happily set for many years with my two L&H concert harps. BTY, your personal email bounced back to me.

Yes, I know, it is contradictory, but it is how I was taught to string, and I make them sound as unplasticky as I can. If I could afford gut strings and could find ones with as clear and liquid harmonics, I would use them. Are Concedos different in tone quality? But, then, plastics are natural, in that they are made of petroleum products.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

>Are Concedos different in tone quality?

They are no less expensive than regular bow brand strings.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 109 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies