harpcolumn

When a Student Leaves

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Teaching the Harp When a Student Leaves

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

What do you do when a student leaves you, say, for college, a good thing, not because they didn’t like you or are going to another teacher? Do you have rituals, do you give them parting gifts?

I never thought of having rituals or gifts for amicably departing students, though the imagination can certainly take flight at the thought of rituals for the oppositie situation. (Even when a student does switch to another teacher, I try to be philosophical about it. I like to stay on good terms with all my former students.)

unknown-user
    Participant

I don’t think you’re obliged to do anything though a small keepsake perhaps if you’re especially fond of them.

I think they should be the ones giving you a nice present for nurturing their skills for so long and preparing them for college. My ex-ballet teacher often has students who leave to go abroad to study and they always drop by before they fly off with a big present for her.

unknown-user
    Participant

I believe Lyon & Healy sell small gold-coluored fingernail clippers with a harp logo on them for $2. Perhaps they offer a discount to teachers who buy in bulk? *g* It seems like a useful gift to give an amicably departing student you liked.

And it sends them a message, too, to trim their nails!

unknown-user
    Participant

What about a card with a thoughtfully written note in it?

Cecelia

I agree with “miso soup” on this one. I feel it is much more appropriate for the student to give the teacher a present when they leave. It feels like a loss when a long-time student goes to another teacher, unless they have been accepted by someone of such sterling repute that you feel proud and honoured to have produced such a student. It assuages the blow to receive an acknowledgement of all the hard work. A nice hand-written thank-you card is great because it doesn’t cost a lot and the teacher can keep it as a memento or even use it as a testimonial or reference, (with permission from the student).

don-hilsberg
    Participant

Keep it simple.

Yes, but you insist that their pizza has anchovies on it.

unknown-user
    Participant

I agree with Elizabeth and Miso. It is the student’s place to give the teacher a card or gift as fits with their culture and mode of expression. As the teacher i see value in offering them a final vote of confidence and telling them I have enjoyed working with them and am excited for their new opportunities. I may then tell them to let me know of their successes and adventures as I am always happy to hear from them. I think once or twice I may have given them a score of mine with a note to that effect inside. Usually just verbal, though and something along those lines.

Julie hit the nail on the head! I often give fingerings and scores to former students as they need them, or if I have come up with a really good adaptation of a part and feel they would benefit from it.

Evangeline Williams
    Participant

I think a card is a definite.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies