Saul Davis Zlatkovski

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 2,596 through 2,610 (of 2,806 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Manly Harps #102275

    Yes, that is interesting, and makes sense of the design. The overall harmony must come from the single creator of it. And it is a tour-de-force.

    As for Salzedos, for the record, Lucile Lawrence never approved of any alteration of the design of the Salzedo model, design maven that she was, and I have to say that as interesting as the variations may be, they don’t make the statement the original does and was designed to do. What would be nice is to have them made in the original specifications, with an extra-wide sounding board and wide-spaced strings.

    in reply to: recordings in which the harp is heard #151862

    There is one with Stokowski and His Symphony Orchestra featuring Lucile Lawrence in the Salzedo cadenza if you can find it. You can also listen to any of the Philadelphia Orchestra recordings. I haven’t made a point of collecting that piece. I also have a complete ballet recorded by Ansermet, and I think I could hear the harp. The first one I ever got was a seven-record set of ballets on London, with the Paris Conservatoire Orchestre under Cluytens, I think, with someone on a straight-sounding board harp.

    in reply to: Where do the bad harp go? #73723

    Don’t bother. I don’t want to know such a fool, who deserves to have bad and smelly harp. If it has been a joke to you, it has been a failure.

    in reply to: Manly Harps #102265

    I think the 24 is much more beautiful than the 26, though it has been a while since I have seen one. The elements of the column design are so harmonious and beautifully proportioned. I also prefer the 3 to the 26. I have never taken to the Gothic style on harps, too cold. I don’t think ornament or decoration should be thought of as not being masculine, I think that is a mistake. And, curiously, I’m pretty sure all the harps have been designed by men. It’s what you do with it and bring to it. 23s have always reminded me of an English manor home, with wainscoting and heraldry like a fancy dining room. If only I could get hold of my ancient heraldry, I could have a harp designed with it.

    in reply to: Urgent! How to change a string? #164543

    The double safety loop is simply another loop after you have tied the knot, and it secures the knot and the string piece so it doesn’t fall out. Just make a loop, slip it over the piece and the knot and pull it tight.

    in reply to: Urgent! How to change a string? #164542

    I have had some luck with stern lectures, followed by gentle coaxing, but the string has to really, really want to change.

    in reply to: how long to learn music and then some #87594

    It sounds like she needs to be given privacy by her family: that can be a serious problem. I would try to address that. In my experience, theory skills don’t help if the desire to use them isn’t there. I wonder if she will be different if she is away from home for camp.

    in reply to: Rocking Harp #87668

    Yes,

    in reply to: Who is John Doe, vote now! #109948

    That explains how much more fluid Mickey’s prose is.

    in reply to: what if you really have to fly with your harp? #164533

    Spellcheck does not catch words that sound alike but are spelled differently.

    in reply to: Who is John Doe, vote now! #109946

    I think John Doe is Mickey D.

    in reply to: Manly Harps #102215

    Manly Harps, didn’t he used to cut my hair?

    I agree on the Salzedo model, but I think the 23 and 3 are also manly, even the 26 and 11.

    in reply to: Who is John Doe, vote now! #109933

    Hmm, an interesting deduction. It would explain somethings. He did mention getting a teaching position in the Damascus Conservatory, on a dirty harp, maybe it was smelly, too. That doesn’t make it him, but I am intrigued by your theory.

    in reply to: Which harp for early music? #164398

    I have used my troubador harp. They were designed to look both medieval and modern, I think.

    in reply to: Rocking Harp #87656

    I’ve seen quite a few professionals or conservatory students who do this, and think it looks expressive, but I also find it makes me feel kind of sick. I’m not sure how to stop it except to spend a lesson holding the harp still. She can move all she wants if the harp stays still. She ought to realize how it feels then. Does she have it resting on her knees? That may be the problem. If it is on the knees and not primarily on the shoulder, then you can move your body without moving the harp.

Viewing 15 posts - 2,596 through 2,610 (of 2,806 total)