Saul Davis Zlatkovski

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 2,251 through 2,265 (of 2,806 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Student Literature #85925

    Yes, but Misty, how do you ensure compliance by the students?

    in reply to: Which edition of the Handel Concerto do you play? #147384

    I might be repeating myself, but in preparing her edition, Lucile Lawrence did go back to the urtext, retained as much as she could of Salzedo’s ideas, while keeping it to the original. She was quite knowledgeable about baroque music. Doubling the bass line in octaves is quite characteristic, and makes for a much better sound on a concert-grand harp. That is why her edition has such a simple cadenza, because some experts felt that is all that was done in Handel’s time (I don’t agree). So, while full sounding, it is an “authentic” edition.

    in reply to: Handel Passacalgia #151553

    What isn’t clear in the urtext edition I have is whether the sections have repeats or not. They have doublebarlines, but no repeat symbols. However, I think the characteristic thing to do is to repeat each variation either as an echo or with (differing) ornamentation. The Tiny Beon has been the standard edition for years despite errors. I recall they were corrected somewhere, perhaps in a Journal article. I have the Magistretti and it is of interest, but I would get the original unless you are learning it for a competition.

    in reply to: Which edition of the Handel Concerto do you play? #147382

    I guess you don’t value my opinion as highly as I do.

    in reply to: Post-1975 pieces #166571

    There are a couple of pieces by Dean Roush that might be after that date, and Acrostic Paraphrase by David Del Tredici. I have published three pieces recently. Steve Sametz has written Angelus. Jan Friedlin published several harp pieces, and there are several by Ami Maayani which are very good for competitions.

    in reply to: showy harp concertos #165969

    Many people find the Gliere to be of inferior musical quality, especially Russian musicians. I would sooner one did the Reinecke or Widor. The only truly fine performance of the Gliere I’ve heard was that of Gretchen Van Hoesen.

    in reply to: A Tournier Question #85992

    The real problem is the glissando up on page five, which appears to have the wrong pedals. To sound like harpists play it on recordings and have the next one come out right, it needs a d-sharp, c-flat, b-natural, e-flat, f-natural, g-flat, a-natural. (Why don’t we have harp notation available here). Then you make an f-sharp and d-flat for the next one.

    in reply to: Granjany / Renie Technique #82943

    You can learn a lot simply by reading the posts on the Salzedo vs. Grandjany thread and other related ones. Most harpists play 1 with their thumbs. The only very different thumb technique I have ever seen is the Russian, with its preparatory dip.

    in reply to: Mildred Dilling on youtube #152030

    The mystery man is Salzedo, I think. Harpo did go to him, and Salzedo did not want to spoil what he was already doing. I believe that is described in Dewey Owens’s biography of Salzedo, “From Aeolian to Thunder.” Harpo also had frequent lessons with Marietta Bitter, or at least came to visit her often. I think you can see some changes in his playing over the course of his movies and shows, not counting the ones with stunt hands.

    in reply to: Dreem Harps #109656

    If you really want to go Vegas or Hollywood or just plain strikingly unusual with your harp, especially an electric one, I have a friend who will design extraordinary fiber optic lighting for your harp, that can even turn different colors for each note, or whatever you like. The business is called Conservation Lighting International.

    in reply to: A Tournier Question #85991

    My concern is avoiding buzzing, nothing else.

    in reply to: Mildred Dilling on youtube #152013

    I saw a master class Mildred Dilling gave around 1976, she drew a crowd!

    in reply to: Mildred Dilling on youtube #152012

    The arm should provide plenty of stability. I believe it has been observed that Salzedo did sometimes play with his wrist touching, being a Frenchman, though he did not teach that, far as I know.

    in reply to: Pierne – Impromptu Caprice #109873

    Why are you calling it a Bolero? I never thought of it as one. I think that is the rhythm of the Chanson dans la nuit, though.

    in reply to: Mildred Dilling on youtube #152009

    There is a historic film of Lucile Lawrence which I believe will be posted soon, and there is one, silent of Carlos Salzedo which I wish would be posted.

Viewing 15 posts - 2,251 through 2,265 (of 2,806 total)