Saul Davis Zlatkovski

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 2,266 through 2,280 (of 2,806 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Mildred Dilling on youtube #152008

    It looks to me like the playing of an early Salzedo pupil, which she was, so maybe for filming purposes she relied on his teaching of showmanship. Resting or letting the right arm touch the sounding-board is a traditional way of playing for many harpists, but not at all necessary.

    in reply to: A Tournier Question #85989

    If you mean that passage, I would play in the right hand dadcad, ecedbe.

    in reply to: New Teachers? #86000

    Your view is reasonable. It is important to have the best possible teacher whenever possible. Lucile Lawrence always took beginners. She felt it was important to do that.

    in reply to: Which edition of the Handel Concerto do you play? #147380

    I totally disagree. It is a magnificent piece in just about every edition, and each one shows it in a different light. To me, the Grandjany edition is very reminiscent of French Romantic Organ style, the Salzedo is very New York 1940s, etc. Consider also that those are written for modern times, modern harps, modern orchestras. Since Baroque music was written in times when performers would customarily improvise and embellish the music, I think they are more in the spirit than playing only the bare notes given by Handel. In any case, doubling octaves is quite normal, for that matter, anything an organ or harpsichord could do in that time is fair game, as the piece can be played on either instrument. To me, this is an unfortunate side-effect of the “period-instrument” movement, the thinking that it is the only way to play or hear the music-that is really a marketing tactic more than a valid philosophy. It was the dissatisfaction of composers even more than performers with current instruments that led to the constant improvement of instruments, as I understand musical history. You are of course free to play it as your talent dictates. I have studied the urtext and found it allows for quite a bit of variation in how to play it, because you have to realize the harmony, meaning you have to add inner voices here and there.

    in reply to: Dreem Harps #109653

    How about the faces of Hasselmans, Renie, Salzedo, Grandjany and Tournier???

    in reply to: Dreem Harps #109652

    I love that idea.

    in reply to: Who is John Doe, vote now! #110002

    He’s the one who stole all the “go to top of thread’ buttons from the site.

    in reply to: Question for Harp Teachers (Adult Students) #86006

    I think that there was an upswell, but it has ended for at least a few years to come until people’s economies have recovered.

    in reply to: Who is John Doe, vote now! #109993

    I’ve had enough trouble without naming names. If one bothered to read all the posts one would know. At this point, it is rather like the sardines in “Noises Off”.

    in reply to: Pierne – Impromptu Caprice #109869

    Those notes that sound wrong were corrected in the Salzedo edition. Thank you for the corrections; now I’ll have to re-learn the piece. It does sound better. I think, if it is extremely well-played, the tremolo effect in the opening does work as written; it points toward the bisbigliandos later on. I rather prefer the piece as written wherever possible. Pierne had a terrific ear. I believe this is the contest piece with which Salzedo won his premier prix in harp.

    in reply to: Who is John Doe, vote now! #109984

    Actually, I retract that completely. While

    in reply to: Diagram for Pedals??? #110035

    What a question. It is a question, pure and simple.

    in reply to: Diagram for Pedals??? #110033

    Who are you?

    in reply to: Harp in College #166548

    Yes it is possible to switch. Don’t pick pieces with a lot of pedal changes. Karen Thielen is an excellent teacher at San Jose State and Santa Clara Universities.

    in reply to: Catalogue of orchestral pieces with harp part? #109879

    You can order a catalog of orchestral parts from Luck’s Musical Library, and go through it mark which ones have harp in them.

Viewing 15 posts - 2,266 through 2,280 (of 2,806 total)