Saul Davis Zlatkovski

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 1,696 through 1,710 (of 2,806 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: plus sign in harp notation #74455

    To elaborate a little further, you place the palm against the strings, flat, with the fingers pointed upward, and play with the thumb, using your palm to muffle the strings below, and if it is a sequence of notes, then to return to the string played and muffle it as you get ready to play the next note. It is not an abrupt muffle, as far as I have seen. It could also be used with the fourth finger, I think, to signify muffling the strings above the bass note.

    in reply to: Chicago Model #84006

    Yes, it seems they have messed with the string spacing and angle, as well as the finish. I’m not pleased. I heard a recent style 30 played, and it looked dustier than it was, with the dull finish, and while it had

    in reply to: Chicago Model #84719

    Yes, it seems they have messed with the string spacing and angle, as well as the finish. I’m not pleased. I heard a recent style 30 played, and it looked dustier than it was, with the dull finish, and while it had

    in reply to: Chicago Model #85229

    Yes, it seems they have messed with the string spacing and angle, as well as the finish. I’m not pleased. I heard a recent style 30 played, and it looked dustier than it was, with the dull finish, and while it had

    in reply to: Why do you play the harp? #102549

    There is nothing better to do.

    in reply to: Is there a technical name for this kind of chord? #158723

    I call it acoustic harmony. You can just write a 5, designating the root and fifth, or 85 for octave, fifth, root.

    Either purchase a shipping carton from Lyon & Healy, who will send you one ready-to-use, or drive it yourself. Shipping is not safe, and if there’s a problem, you have to check the insurance policy immediately. Sometimes you only have two weeks to file a claim.

    in reply to: Recording in a Chapel #150406

    Look at the microphone setting options in the set-up guide. It definitely will not be good up close. Too many recordings are done that way today, and like you found, there is a lot of attack and finger noise. You need a setting for a farther-away mic, perhaps a different pick-up pattern. I found my concert recordings to be rather faint too, I guess that’s why. There are level adjustments, but you need someone to do that while you play. I would honestly recommend doing it on any kind of tape first, then feeding that throught the H2.

    in reply to: what type and color of flooring for harping #150453

    Avoid red and blonde, colors that match the strings. Patterns can also be distracting.

    in reply to: Harp tuner recommendations #74527

    I also use the Korg Orchestra tuner, and like it quite well. The only drawback is that the speaker is in the back, so if it is on your stand facing you, and you want to tune to its pitch, it is muffled. Korgs are always good for producing a pitch that is easy to tune to, and it meters all the strings, though you may have to move the pick-up. It doesn’t come with an adapter, which is worth paying for, as batteries only last about 3 months. I do not use a suction cup pick-up on my sounding board, it leaves a mark.

    in reply to: Editing #150456

    I have playback also, but it can be misleading. I definitely play works on the harp, but my abilities may not be the same as those who are buying, that is another consideration.

    in reply to: Context #84049

    Yes, I think that is true, Mel, but the big reason here is that they stopped teaching geography as a subject in the schools in the 1970s. First it was merged into Social Studies (should have been the other way around), and gradually eliminated. I loved geography, but we all learned all 50 states (a lot), Canada, and then other countries. There are also so many more countries now than there used to be.

    Musically, the main problem, I would say, is the difficulty in importing music. I am dismayed at how much important music does not get distribution here. And probably, vice versa.

    in reply to: Context #84762

    Yes, I think that is true, Mel, but the big reason here is that they stopped teaching geography as a subject in the schools in the 1970s. First it was merged into Social Studies (should have been the other way around), and gradually eliminated. I loved geography, but we all learned all 50 states (a lot), Canada, and then other countries. There are also so many more countries now than there used to be.

    Musically, the main problem, I would say, is the difficulty in importing music. I am dismayed at how much important music does not get distribution here. And probably, vice versa.

    in reply to: Context #85272

    Yes, I think that is true, Mel, but the big reason here is that they stopped teaching geography as a subject in the schools in the 1970s. First it was merged into Social Studies (should have been the other way around), and gradually eliminated. I loved geography, but we all learned all 50 states (a lot), Canada, and then other countries. There are also so many more countries now than there used to be.

    Musically, the main problem, I would say, is the difficulty in importing music. I am dismayed at how much important music does not get distribution here. And probably, vice versa.

    in reply to: Harp Teacher, Waco TX area #83665

    If you didn’t know, Baylor has a harp faculty instructor

Viewing 15 posts - 1,696 through 1,710 (of 2,806 total)