Chicago Model

Posted In: Teaching the Harp

• Participant
    Brandee Younger on #85224

Have any of you tried the L&H Chicago Petite’s yet?

luanne-oreilly on #85225

There has been previous discussion regarding the Chicago line – possibly in the Harps and Accessories section.

tony-morosco on #85226

I have a L&H 85P, which is almost the exact same harp. As far as I can tell the only real difference is the style of the column. All the other dimensions are the same.

I’m 5’10” and have no trouble with the size. The only issue I have is that the highest octave is a bit cramped and my relatively large hands have a bit of a tough time with them. Not impossible, but I have to be extra attentive when playing the top strings with my right hand.

Tone wise my 85P sounds great and gets better all the time. It’s a sturdy, reliable instrument.

Participant
    brook-boddie on #85227

Brandee,

I bought a Chicago Petite last fall, and I can tell you that it’s probably one of the best harps I’ve ever owned.

Participant
    brook-boddie on #85228

I forgot to mention that, as Louanne and Tony mentioned, the top octave is pretty tight, especially for someone with large hands.

Participant
    Saul Davis Zlatkovski on #85229

Yes, it seems they have messed with the string spacing and angle, as well as the finish. I’m not pleased. I heard a recent style 30 played, and it looked dustier than it was, with the dull finish, and while it had

Participant
    Brandee Younger on #85230

Thank you all for your input.

Participant
    Jerusha Amado on #85231

Saul,

This question is off-topic, but have you tried a L and H Style 100, and if so, what is your assessment of it?

Jerusha

Participant
    tonie-ogimachi on #85232

Hi Brandee,

I also play an 85 Petite, which as Tony says, is very similar.

Participant
    Saul Davis Zlatkovski on #85233

When I was at the factory last spring, I tried all the harps on the floor, perhaps 60 of them, and 90% of them were virtually identical sounding, across all models. The only difference was made by size. I felt that it really didn’t matter which one was picked. There were about 8 harps that a promising open sound that I liked. The others were more buzzy with their overtones, more intimate sounding. There was some difference between the 85 and other models due to obvious differences, but the 100 and Chicago of the same size were about the same. I just don’t remember any of the harps being particularly individual. They all sounded basically quite good.

Participant
    Brandee Younger on #85234

Thanks again–and Tonie, I love “knucklebuster” Hahahahaa!!

Participant
    don-hilsberg on #85235

This is in response to Jerusha’s request for info on the style 100s.
    Recently, I had the chance to choose two new 100s for one of the state universities here in Colorado.

Participant
    Jerusha Amado on #85236

Thanks, Don, for responding!

The two 100’s that I’ve heard in person were both warm and projecting.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.