Saul Davis Zlatkovski

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 1,681 through 1,695 (of 2,806 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: teaching rhythm #84744

    I think it’s because rhythm is taught as a form of math, and not as a physical feeling. Get them up and dancing, walking, and feeling a beat. Then relate it to the fingers doing the same. It should help. I guess it’s like eurhythmics.

    in reply to: teaching rhythm #85254

    I think it’s because rhythm is taught as a form of math, and not as a physical feeling. Get them up and dancing, walking, and feeling a beat. Then relate it to the fingers doing the same. It should help. I guess it’s like eurhythmics.

    in reply to: Chicago Model #84010

    When I was at the factory last spring, I tried all the harps on the floor, perhaps 60 of them, and 90% of them were virtually identical sounding, across all models. The only difference was made by size. I felt that it really didn’t matter which one was picked. There were about 8 harps that a promising open sound that I liked. The others were more buzzy with their overtones, more intimate sounding. There was some difference between the 85 and other models due to obvious differences, but the 100 and Chicago of the same size were about the same. I just don’t remember any of the harps being particularly individual. They all sounded basically quite good.

    in reply to: Chicago Model #84723

    When I was at the factory last spring, I tried all the harps on the floor, perhaps 60 of them, and 90% of them were virtually identical sounding, across all models. The only difference was made by size. I felt that it really didn’t matter which one was picked. There were about 8 harps that a promising open sound that I liked. The others were more buzzy with their overtones, more intimate sounding. There was some difference between the 85 and other models due to obvious differences, but the 100 and Chicago of the same size were about the same. I just don’t remember any of the harps being particularly individual. They all sounded basically quite good.

    in reply to: Chicago Model #85233

    When I was at the factory last spring, I tried all the harps on the floor, perhaps 60 of them, and 90% of them were virtually identical sounding, across all models. The only difference was made by size. I felt that it really didn’t matter which one was picked. There were about 8 harps that a promising open sound that I liked. The others were more buzzy with their overtones, more intimate sounding. There was some difference between the 85 and other models due to obvious differences, but the 100 and Chicago of the same size were about the same. I just don’t remember any of the harps being particularly individual. They all sounded basically quite good.

    in reply to: Handel’s Harp Concerto Vs. Debussy’s Danses #166493

    Sorry, the harp can do far more than play the notes of the Handel Concerto, we don’t need lute assistance.

    in reply to: Handel’s Harp Concerto Vs. Debussy’s Danses #166490

    I think it is reasonable to expect to spend a full year learning the notes and memorizing them, and another year to bring it up to tempo, and much longer to really understand it.

    in reply to: University #166239

    Carnegie-Mellon would be another, and New York University as well.

    in reply to: Kikta Oratorio live stream #83000

    Who are all the harpists performing?

    A similar work is Universal Prayer by Andrzej Panufnik, which has, I think, three harps with organ and vocal soloists.

    in reply to: Playing for students #83680

    I find that it is essential, but it depends on how you play and what you want to teach.

    in reply to: bogus teacher request emails? #83803

    They never stop. Don’t answer such e-mails. If the language is too formal, if they are foreign, it is spam.

    in reply to: bogus teacher request emails? #84516

    They never stop. Don’t answer such e-mails. If the language is too formal, if they are foreign, it is spam.

    in reply to: bogus teacher request emails? #85026

    They never stop. Don’t answer such e-mails. If the language is too formal, if they are foreign, it is spam.

    in reply to: Why do you play the harp? #102553

    Sometimes I feel extinguished. As I said, there is nothing better to do. As in, nothing could be better than playing the harp. Everything is worse, lesser, coarser, cruder, lower, less interesting, less beautiful, etc.

    The sound is what inspired me, the purity of it, the harmonics, the range of color, the organic act of finger flesh on string, the audibility of overtones. To me it is the music of the spheres, of God’s presence. The pure delight of Harpo in his harp.

    in reply to: Substitute for string set? #159247

    You can string your harp any way that you want to, as long as it is the right tension for your model. Do not believe factory talk that it has to be strung the way they say. They are wrong in saying that. You can certainly use good quality nylon strings in place of gut. I don’t know what strings a Shamrock or other model use, but an Ogden uses standard strings, the same as a pedal harp.

Viewing 15 posts - 1,681 through 1,695 (of 2,806 total)