harpcolumn

Recording in a Chapel

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Professional Harpists Recording in a Chapel

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    unknown-user
    Participant

Hi all,

I’m currently recording myself in a chapel with my Zoom H2. Does anyone have a suggestion as to the placement of the mic? So far I’ve found that placing the mic closer than about 6 feet to the harp catches the articulation amazingly but gives everything I play a harsh tone and that putting it too far away makes everything mush together, not to mention that I sound very far away even when I put the gain all the way up. Even when I’m relatively close (6-10 feet) the recordings sound as though I’m very far away. I’ve been trying to make my tone as warm as possible so that I can bring the mic closer, but that may only help so much…

Any suggestions – any at all?

~Sam

Look at the microphone setting options in the set-up guide. It definitely will not be good up close. Too many recordings are done that way today, and like you found, there is a lot of attack and finger noise. You need a setting for a farther-away mic, perhaps a different pick-up pattern. I found my concert recordings to be rather faint too, I guess that’s why. There are level adjustments, but you need someone to do that while you play. I would honestly recommend doing it on any kind of tape first, then feeding that throught the H2.

adam-b-harris
    Participant

Sam,

I record in a similiar room. I have the mics up close (slightly less than 5 feet) and roll off the top end using eq to combat the harshness. Not a purist “optimum mic placement” approach, but is quick and easy and seems to work. Generally I use better mics, but did a quick demo this way with an H4 and it seemed to work ok.

good luck with it

adam

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Professional Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies