Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
Ruth Mar
ParticipantAs far as difficulty goes, part of it depends on which version of the Handel you are doing.
Ruth Mar
ParticipantAdd me to your list!
Ruth Mar
ParticipantRuth Mar
ParticipantOn the other coast is the University of Washington, which I know has both marine biology and harp (Pamela Vokolek).
Ruth Mar
ParticipantI am a student, and the first book I used was Betty Paret’s First Harp Book.
Ruth Mar
ParticipantJust want to emphasize the very last comment about buying the padded covers…I waited a year to buy them, and it was a year too late! Especially if you will be moving your harp a bit, you need the padded covers.
I agree that your daughter’s teacher will know when she is ready…personally, my switch came when I “outgrew” the classical repertoire for the lever harp. It depends where your daughter’s interests lie — if she aspires to be a classical harpist and is willing to stick it through, then a pedal harp would be great. But if she likes folk harp or just wants to play a little as a hobby, then there’s no real sense in dishing out the big money.
Ruth Mar
ParticipantYes, it probably has to do with the distance the parent has to drive.
Ruth Mar
ParticipantI’ve played the piano for 11 years and the harp for 2 1/2, and I think that the piano both helps and hinders, though helps more.
Ruth Mar
ParticipantFaure’s Pelleas and Mellesande (sp?) is fun and pretty, and so is Debussy’s Prelude to the Afternoon of a Faun, although both require great flutists/oboists (for the Debussy)!
Ruth Mar
ParticipantI guess for the music I like to play, the pedal harp.
Ruth Mar
ParticipantYes, Impromptu-Caprice is FUN!
Ruth Mar
ParticipantI haven’t played the pieces myself, but the Hasselmans Trois Petite Pieces are nice (especially Reverie), and not too hard.
Ruth Mar
ParticipantI thought about it a little more, and I also like Renie’s Feuillets d’Album, Minuet from Salzedo Suite of Eight Dances (well, all of them are great but that one’s the prettiest) and the Prokofiev Prelude and a song called May Night by Palmgren. The Renie album is the easiest of the lot; May Night has a lot of pedals and Prokofiev has its technical problems too. The Grandjany Trois Petite Pieces are cute; not necessarily lovely, but easy and fun to play. And the Brahms Waltz in A-flat is charming. Ah, there’s so much!!!
-
AuthorPosts