harpcolumn

Orchestra Pieces

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Young Harpists Orchestra Pieces

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    unknown-user
    Participant

Hello All,
    I’d like to ask for the names/composers/arrangers of orchestra pieces
    at the level for a talented High School Orchestra (Juniors and
    Seniors) that include harp parts that aren’t terribly hard.

unknown-user
    Participant

I play harp in my school orchestra.

unknown-user
    Participant

Since you played Tchaikowsky, Johann Strauss got many beautiful waltz and many harp solo with other instruments. Not too hard to play for any school orchestra. Show pieces from movies, Broadway musical are good choices too. “Manon Lescaut” intermezzo is like the Intermezzo from Cavaliar Rusticana by Mascagni. Have fun.

Ruth Mar
    Participant

Faure’s Pelleas and Mellesande (sp?) is fun and pretty, and so is Debussy’s Prelude to the Afternoon of a Faun, although both require great flutists/oboists (for the Debussy)!

unknown-user
    Participant

The Sinfonia Piccola by Heikki Suolahti has a good harp part in the second movement.

unknown-user
    Participant

In the last teachers forum from AHS, it had a list of harp parts for school orchestras, also “Nordic” by Howard Hanson (2nd Movement, Symphony 1) is a good part. Hope you find one!

unknown-user
    Participant

In my Youth Symphony I played Jacques Offenbach’s Orpheus in the Underworld. There wern’t a lot of harp parts in it, but what was there was fun (and challenging) to play.

M D

Just a few suggestions:

unknown-user
    Participant

Another Vaughn-Williams piece you might want to try is The Wasps.

unknown-user
    Participant

Some of the lesser known orhestra pieces i`ve played in are “Colonial Song” by Percy Grainger and “Four Scottish Dances” by Malcolm Arnold. Neither are particularly challenging.

unknown-user
    Participant

personally, in enjoy movement 1 and 2 of the handel harp concerto. I play the Salzedo version. best of luck!

unknown-user
    Participant

Hello Katie!
    Try “American Salute” by Morton Gould or “Swan Lake” by Tchaikovsky.
    Everything else that I’d suggest has already been suggested. They are great… take my word for it. I am in the same boat you are, and I’ve played a good portion of them. If you want any advice or an email harp pen pal… email me at suz_ician@yahoo.com

Molly Jones

Well I did Walts of the Flowers Harp solo and the Huapango Harp Solo last year. They were both fun and not too difficult!! 🙂 But I just performed Mahler’s Adagietto a few days ago and that is extremely difficult….lol it took forever to learn

Katie, if you and your teacher have “used up most of the standards” of high school level harp parts in orchestra music, be sure you also look at lists that American Harp Society Project 2000 put together for just that purpose. GO TO: http://www.harpsociety.org/resources/education2000.html. There are periodic updates. Here is the phone number: (203) 966 7616. The site lists published music for string ensembles, orchestral works, and selections for band or choir (Grades 1 through 12) that include harp parts; includes publisher information, orchestration,and level for both the ensemble and the harp part.

barbara kraichy
    Participant

Katie, it is great to know what pieces have harp parts, but your choices can widen if you work from a piano reduction of any of the pieces your conductor wants to do. As another reply suggested, you can get someone to create a harp part, but you can do it yourself just by figuring out how to adapt a piano part. That

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • The forum ‘Young Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies