Misty Harrison

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 270 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Outdoor Event – how cold is too cold? #151285
    Misty Harrison
    Participant

    I think it depends on what you think is healthy for you and the harp, and when you decide that put it in to a contract. Some harps aren’t supposed to be exposed to less than 45 degrees (probably all of them, but I know some models have a specific stipulation on that).

    in reply to: Christmas! #151351
    Misty Harrison
    Participant

    When I do midnight mass, I prefer to play some of the movements of Rousseau’s Variations Pastorales. They’re not hard and you can pick and choose, plus you can always play them slowly. I think they give the perfect ambience for mass and they don’t include songs that are not considered appropriate by the church since it’s al based on one christmas tune.

    in reply to: Sighting on Project Runway #108892
    Misty Harrison
    Participant

    Haven’t watched the show but was wondering if there’s a clip on youtube that shows her wearing whatever the end result was?

    There were some clips from the show but not that.

    in reply to: What happens when a string breaks? #75483
    Misty Harrison
    Participant

    From my experience the gun shot sound is worse as the harp is larger. On a small harp it still sounds surprising but on my larger pedal harps if any 3rd octave or lower goes everyone in the house wakes up and the dogs bark.

    in reply to: Salvi Ana harp #75495
    Misty Harrison
    Participant

    It’s a great harp if you want a lever harp but like the look of a pedal harp.

    I have heard some with quite nice tones.

    I think they’re also quite sturdy.

    in reply to: Any experience with Electric Harp? #75254
    Misty Harrison
    Participant

    My only experience was with one of the first pedal harp ones and the thing was great when plugged in and horrible when not. I’d get the newest of whichever electric harp you wanted to get and try to get one that works acoustic or electric rather than simply electric. The older ones were not meant to be performed on without being plugged in so they are really soft and don’t have a good tone when unplugged because the board was so much thicker than a regular harp.

    in reply to: Micheline Kahn #151251
    Misty Harrison
    Participant

    I thought there was a two-part article written by her son (JM Damase) about her that had at least one photo with it. I thought it was in the AHJ but can’t find it. Perhaps it was in the Harp Congress Review.

    in reply to: orchestra etiquette #151402
    Misty Harrison
    Participant

    Um nobody on here wrote about her reading during concerts. Pay attention instead of reprimanding when you haven’t read what was written properly. We’re talking about two different things. Readig during rehearsals and What to do during a concert when you don’t play on a specific piece.

    in reply to: orchestra etiquette #151400
    Misty Harrison
    Participant

    Yes definitely leave the stage during rehearsal of other pieces if possible. This way you can read or do something else politely. It’s just common courtesy to the conductor who probably doesn’t appreciate looking into the group and seeing someone not only not looking at him/her but reading.

    I always play along for things like the Star Spangled Banner but when you’re a harpist there will be times when you have to figure out what to do on stage when you don’t play in a piece but are in a concert setting where you can’t just walk off stage. The worst is if someone takes a picture at that point because then everyone says why isn’t the harpist playing? Instead of realizing that there’s no harp on that particular piece.

    in reply to: weddings that start very very late #151412
    Misty Harrison
    Participant

    Having a stop time is really important as has been said. The other thing is that you know brides are late. It’s bad that they’re late but it’s your problem if you’re late to something else. Most harpists I know allow two to four hours between gigs just in case something runs late or there is traffic. I have practiced this policy for years and have really seen it work well.

    While I think it’s ridiculous when brides are excessively late many weddings do start later that they plan and again it’s your reputation that’s on

    in reply to: Some people are really social clods…. #151478
    Misty Harrison
    Participant

    It’s true that some people don’t have the money but in my experience these people are usually very honest and not arrogant. They usually don’t act like they’re doing you a favor to let you play and “advertise” yourself adn they don’t put you on hold while they answer other calls and tell you stories about other harpists or say things like I decided to hire a harpist because then I only have to pay one person.

    There are definitely solutions when people really can’t pay and are nice about it but I think this post is really about people who are rude, not whether they can pay or not.

    in reply to: Harp Demonstration/Presentation #151487
    Misty Harrison
    Participant

    I take a string and hand it around for the kids to touch it’s an old used string. I save them for that purpose.

    in reply to: M.Grandjany his works #151503
    Misty Harrison
    Participant

    Ruth K. Inglefield has a nice short book on Grandjany that will answer some of these questions. Start with that book. You can get it from most of the harp stores like http://www.harp.com I think and I’m sure you could ask your local library to borrow it from another library if you can’t order it. The other thing is to look up theses and dissertations on Grandjany. I am sure some people have written on him. Maybe Kathy Bundock Moore?

    in reply to: Tchaikovsky’s Romeo and Juliet #151491
    Misty Harrison
    Participant

    Sarah Bullen’s edited version from her orchestral excerpt book doesn’t have the change that you’re talking about. Do you have this book? That will probably answer your question well.

    in reply to: Pavane et Bransles by Francisque question #151499
    Misty Harrison
    Participant

    I play the two harmonics in the left hand and the b in the right hand. On parts where the right and left need to play harmonics but the left also plays a non-harmonic note I play it as written, just try to work your elft hand so that you can play a harmonic and a nonharmonic at the same time. That’s pretty standard but the first one you mentioned just play both harmonics in the left hand and the b below them in the right.

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 270 total)