Misty Harrison

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 270 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Moonlight Sonata and Air on the G string #151215
    Misty Harrison
    Participant

    For professionals is what I mean. Here is a small sample of harpists with websites listing at least one of those songs on their repertoire lists. Notice they are all over the country. This is standard repertoire.

    Michelle Sell, CA

    in reply to: Moonlight Sonata and Air on the G string #151213
    Misty Harrison
    Participant

    Whether or not they should be played on the harp they’re both pretty standard gig rep.

    Misty Harrison
    Participant

    You wrote that it’s a small community and maybe it is but usually the problem is that it seems small when you don’t know of the other harpists around. Look for someone else. The whole thing sounds strange. I can see if she wanted her time paid for explaining tuning and stringing, etc. since we sometimes have to do this on our own time and don’t get paid for it and it is very time consuming teaching work. I can also see why you might want to compensate her for driving to look at a harp since that also involves time though you shouldn’t have been expected to take the side trip.

    Sounds like you just need to explain to her that you don’t think you owe the money or just pay the money and let it go but no matter what probably you need to work with someone else because if she is creating things like this now it will only get worse.

    When you find another teacher try to not to take a very long time in deciding because it is good to take your time but it also sends a message of “I’m not actually going to be serious about this” which is difficult because a lot of us teach adult students who appear for a few weeks and then disappear though we scheduled their lesson time and possibly turned down other students for it. It will work out better if you can make a decision promptly but I wouldn’t study with this person. Sounds like a nut.

    Misty Harrison
    Participant

    You wrote that it’s a small community and maybe it is but usually the problem is that it seems small when you don’t know of the other harpists around. Look for someone else. The whole thing sounds strange. I can see if she wanted her time paid for explaining tuning and stringing, etc. since we sometimes have to do this on our own time and don’t get paid for it and it is very time consuming teaching work. I can also see why you might want to compensate her for driving to look at a harp since that also involves time though you shouldn’t have been expected to take the side trip.

    Sounds like you just need to explain to her that you don’t think you owe the money or just pay the money and let it go but no matter what probably you need to work with someone else because if she is creating things like this now it will only get worse.

    When you find another teacher try to not to take a very long time in deciding because it is good to take your time but it also sends a message of “I’m not actually going to be serious about this” which is difficult because a lot of us teach adult students who appear for a few weeks and then disappear though we scheduled their lesson time and possibly turned down other students for it. It will work out better if you can make a decision promptly but I wouldn’t study with this person. Sounds like a nut.

    Misty Harrison
    Participant

    You wrote that it’s a small community and maybe it is but usually the problem is that it seems small when you don’t know of the other harpists around. Look for someone else. The whole thing sounds strange. I can see if she wanted her time paid for explaining tuning and stringing, etc. since we sometimes have to do this on our own time and don’t get paid for it and it is very time consuming teaching work. I can also see why you might want to compensate her for driving to look at a harp since that also involves time though you shouldn’t have been expected to take the side trip.

    Sounds like you just need to explain to her that you don’t think you owe the money or just pay the money and let it go but no matter what probably you need to work with someone else because if she is creating things like this now it will only get worse.

    When you find another teacher try to not to take a very long time in deciding because it is good to take your time but it also sends a message of “I’m not actually going to be serious about this” which is difficult because a lot of us teach adult students who appear for a few weeks and then disappear though we scheduled their lesson time and possibly turned down other students for it. It will work out better if you can make a decision promptly but I wouldn’t study with this person. Sounds like a nut.

    in reply to: Harping Dress #108865
    Misty Harrison
    Participant

    The best investment in gig clothes I ever made was a black velvet skirt/top set from nordstroms. I’ll have to check the label and let you know, but they never wrinkle and they roll

    in reply to: Wedding Policy for Friends? #151275
    Misty Harrison
    Participant

    Tonya the one wedding per person is

    in reply to: Wedding Policy for Friends? #151273
    Misty Harrison
    Participant

    If they call and ask then probably the best thing to do is send your contract with the fees, as you said. If it’s too far just tell them you can’t travel with the harp but that you’d be happy to refer them to someone who lives closer and then send them the numbers of some harpists from the AHS directory. You can always ask other harpists or call those harpists yourself to be sure they are qualified. All of this since they’re not clsoe friends.

    I have played for free for three weddings that were friends getting married. I did this for several reasons. Either they asked and assumed they were paying but I know them well enough to know they didn’t have that kind of money (they were young college students) or they didn’t ask and I simply offered as something I would like to do for them because we are so close. In those situations I just approached them and said I would like to offer to play for the ceremony if they would like it but I knew they might want something or someone else and that’d be fine with me.

    One thing I don’t do is offer or agree to play receptions for free. Each time I have only played the prelude and ceremony because that I think it very nice and a great gift to participate in the ceremony (especially in lieu of being a bridesmaid) but I think I would feel badly playing all during the reception while my friends were enjoying themselves without me.

    in reply to: Best Teaching Method for Adults – Harp Olympics? #84268
    Misty Harrison
    Participant

    When I teach adult beginners I use older books that maybe people don’t use now as much like the Betty Paret books and the Mildred Dilling Old Tunes for New Harpists because they don’t have teddy bears and they use songs that are recognizable instead of songs that someone no matter how well-known wrote up just for the book. Adults like it because they know the songs even though the songs are sometimes nursery rhymes. I also add a lot of other things depending on the student and their interests. The Grossi I also like to use with the Dilling because it has billions of exercises that are short so adults don’t feel overwhelmed from the length of the study and they can practice it each day no matter what since it’s so short.

    in reply to: Best Teaching Method for Adults – Harp Olympics? #84981
    Misty Harrison
    Participant

    When I teach adult beginners I use older books that maybe people don’t use now as much like the Betty Paret books and the Mildred Dilling Old Tunes for New Harpists because they don’t have teddy bears and they use songs that are recognizable instead of songs that someone no matter how well-known wrote up just for the book. Adults like it because they know the songs even though the songs are sometimes nursery rhymes. I also add a lot of other things depending on the student and their interests. The Grossi I also like to use with the Dilling because it has billions of exercises that are short so adults don’t feel overwhelmed from the length of the study and they can practice it each day no matter what since it’s so short.

    in reply to: Best Teaching Method for Adults – Harp Olympics? #85491
    Misty Harrison
    Participant

    When I teach adult beginners I use older books that maybe people don’t use now as much like the Betty Paret books and the Mildred Dilling Old Tunes for New Harpists because they don’t have teddy bears and they use songs that are recognizable instead of songs that someone no matter how well-known wrote up just for the book. Adults like it because they know the songs even though the songs are sometimes nursery rhymes. I also add a lot of other things depending on the student and their interests. The Grossi I also like to use with the Dilling because it has billions of exercises that are short so adults don’t feel overwhelmed from the length of the study and they can practice it each day no matter what since it’s so short.

    in reply to: what do we know about Lyon and Healy 15 style harps? #75418
    Misty Harrison
    Participant

    Some 15’s have 46 strings but some don’t. They made ones with 43 strings and also 44 strings, I think since I have seen some of these models. All the 15’s I’ve played have a great sound. Great harps. Somebody said they were basically an old version of the student model harp kind of like the 85 series but that may not be true. Great gig harps.

    in reply to: Harp and Violin #151347
    Misty Harrison
    Participant

    I don’t think this was mentioned above but if it was I didn’t mean to repeat it. Sergiu Natra has a great piece for violin and harp if you like his work.

    I don’t know about the Damase violin and harp but the flute and harp sonatas are beautiful though a bit of work.

    in reply to: Yoga for Harpists? #108914
    Misty Harrison
    Participant

    Child’s pose is amazing for releasing your lower back!

    in reply to: Christmas! #151357
    Misty Harrison
    Participant

    Oh yes I forgot about the MHC arrangements. They’re great. Again you have to check as you know because some tunes we think are great are not okay with the church to be played at mass but her arrangements are beautiful and she has a lot of harp duets too in case you ever wnat to convince the church to have two harps.

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 270 total)