harpcolumn

Christmas!

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Professional Harpists Christmas!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    elinor-niemisto
    Participant

I would appreciate some suggestions for a solo to play on Christmas Eve.

Tournier’s 6th Noel. Very short, very simple, elegantly beautiful.

Suntia Staneslow’s Christmas books are nice and are super easy but sound impressive.

Misty Harrison
    Participant

When I do midnight mass, I prefer to play some of the movements of Rousseau’s Variations Pastorales. They’re not hard and you can pick and choose, plus you can always play them slowly. I think they give the perfect ambience for mass and they don’t include songs that are not considered appropriate by the church since it’s al based on one christmas tune.

Karen Johns
    Participant

I really like Carlos Salzedo’s version of “I Wonder as I Wander”. Simple, elegant, poignant- perfect for creating a meditative ambience.

rosalind-beck
    Participant

May Hogan Cambern’s “Lo, How a Rose E’er Blooming.” It is simple yet beautiful and perfect for midnight mass. Always one of my very favorite things to play.

tony-morosco
    Participant

What I like about Salzedo’s I Wonder As I Wander also is that since it is written in Cb major you can play it on a lever harp tuned to C major simply by ignoring all the flats. The easiest transposition of a piece of music possible.

Karen Johns
    Participant

And that is how I play it, Tony! :-)

elinor-niemisto
    Participant

So many great recommendations!

Misty Harrison
    Participant

Oh yes I forgot about the MHC arrangements. They’re great. Again you have to check as you know because some tunes we think are great are not okay with the church to be played at mass but her arrangements are beautiful and she has a lot of harp duets too in case you ever wnat to convince the church to have two harps.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘Professional Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies