harpcolumn

Outdoor Event – how cold is too cold?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Professional Harpists Outdoor Event – how cold is too cold?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    tonya-a
    Participant

I played as a last-minute sub for an October

alice-freeman
    Spectator

What a mess! I don’t know what you could have done in this situation, but when I have a contract it specifies that I don’t play in temperatures

Misty Harrison
    Participant

I think it depends on what you think is healthy for you and the harp, and when you decide that put it in to a contract. Some harps aren’t supposed to be exposed to less than 45 degrees (probably all of them, but I know some models have a specific stipulation on that).

onita-sanders
    Participant

Here in my area, I tell them up front that my cut off temperature is 51 degrees.

tonya-a
    Participant

Thanks for all the great advice – I will chalk up this particular event as an “educational experience” and will make sure future contracts (whether written, or last-minute-verbal ones like this time) include a clause for temperature.

M Rodgers
    Spectator

Despite living in Michigan, that happened to me for only the 1st time this year. A bride wanted to get married in an orchard in May. It was 70 on Friday and 43 on Sat. She was adamant that the wedding be in the orchard despite the wind and cold. I pulled out the contract she had signed stating that it’s up to my discretion to go out if it is below 60. She agreed to the contract. There was no PA out in the orchard ( the guests had to ride a wagon to get out there.) and no one had a jambox so the wedding was sans music. I felt bad and agreed to play during cocktails and part of dinner.

The minister approached me later and told me there was no way I could have played out there, he almost dropped the rings because his hands were numb. The guests were miserable and quickly gathered indoors, ignoring the appetizers for the outdoor cocktail hour.

Sometimes the wedding coordinator needs to

barbara-fackler
    Participant

Meg, the idea of having the recording of the music in case it’s too cold is brilliant. I had 4 people this year schedule outdoor events in October. I’ve decided to call and remind them of their contractual agreement. I reserve the right to refuse to perform outdoors below 60Âş and used it this year. It’s very hard, in the moment to tell a bride who already has everything set up that I won’t go outdoors for her. It’s much easier to remind them ahead of time. I think many don’t read everything on the contract and are truly taken by surprize.

catherine-rogers
    Participant

Barbara, what was the bride’s response when you called to remind her of the clause? Was recorded music acceptable to her? I’ve had some clients who feel they’re also paying for the atmosphere the harp lends and don’t want to pay what I’d charge to bring a harp and play if they end up getting something they think a DJ (or their ipod) could do.

tonya-a
    Participant

Yes, do tell Barbara – I’m curious to know how the bride responded.

barbara-fackler
    Participant

First, it was Meg that suggested the recording. I’ve never tried that, but it sounds like it might be acceptable to some people. I always have a small amp with me for outdoor events so I could make that loud enough. Most people don’t have any sound system set up for outdoor weddings so a simple iPod wouldn’t be enough of a system.

The bride was plenty gracious. I think it helped to remind her ahead of time instead of dealing with it the day of the wedding. It gave her time to get a plan ready and adjust her plans. I never take an outdoor event if the client doesn’t have a plan for bad weather in place. If there’s no backup plan, I decline the job.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘Professional Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies